Reinstalling operating system questions

VNAM75 16:05 17 Apr 09

My pc has an amd 3800 cpu, 2gb ram and ati x1950 512mb pro gpu. I use my pc for everything including gaming. My questions are

1) should I put on XP pro or Vista pro? I want Vista but would my specs struggle?

2) XP is currently installed on a maxtor 300gb hd, split between 2 partitions; 100gb windows, 200gb program files. The 100gb is now 10gb because I also install key software on the windows drive. Should I split the partitions or have just one?

3) I also have a separate internal seagate 40gb hard drive for storing data. If I reformat my maxtor drive and install a new op, would the data in the seagate drive be safe and useable afterwards? I can't see why it won't but want to be 100% sure. Should I disconnect it while installing the new op just to be safe?

4) do I need to reformat my maxtor drive or should I just reinstall over it?

5) I can't remember what its called, but when you're partitioning the drives in dos, is there a particular format/system name you have to assign to the primary and secondary partion.

6) I want to create a network and link my vista
laptop to my pc and also share the (virgin) internet connection. My pc is currently connected to a buffalo wireless router. When I've installed the new op, do I switch on both machines and go through the vista network wizard? Would this also enable broadband sharing too?

7) how do I get in to the dos command to reformat the hd?

8) Have I missed any thing other than the essentials - backups, getting drivers ready etc.

Technotiger 16:28 17 Apr 09

1. Vista would struggle.
2. Prefer without any extra Partitions.
3. Should be safe, but if you change to Vista, some might not work.
4. Re-install over it.
5. I never partition, IMHO partitioning sometimes causes more problems.
6. Better answered in Network Forum.
7. In XP Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt.
8. Don't think so, but others might have other suggestions.

Good luck.

cream. 16:35 17 Apr 09

1) That's a personal choice. You have Vista so you know it eats resourses and your games MAY struggle, especially with 2Gb of ram. Why Pro?

2) If you have a backup strategy just leave it at one partition.

3) Write the data to the drive and test it before you format the original drive. It should be 100% safe.

4) Run the setup procedure and you WILL be given the option to format the drive. If you are writing over the previous O\S, format the drive.

5)You don't need it. Windows setup will format and partition the drive.

6) Connect the new machine to the network and then run the wizard.

7) see 4 and 5

Diemmess 16:45 17 Apr 09

1) XP Pro is happy with your hardware, why make waves?

2)Personal view: 100GB should be more than enough, there must be a lot of undiscovered rubbish on C: at present

3)The 40gb slave should be alright, but if you are anxious, just disconnect either the power or the data to the drive before you start

4)Installation over an existing system wipes all before it you do not have to format. Hence the need to be careful you are working on the right drive.

5)Forget DOS when installing XP, just follow the prompts.

7) As 5 above

8)Murphy's Law?

VNAM75 16:54 17 Apr 09

Thanks for the help. The reason I want to have vista (I only have pro and not basic) is because it seems very stable on my laptop (vista basic) even though its not particularly speedy. Its only a 1.86 ghz celeron. My amd is 3800 which is equivalent to a 3.8ghz intel(?), so it should be much more powerful? Plus, I'm reinstalling because after having to change my anti virus recently (from mcafee to avast to avg 8.5 - neither are ideal), some programs are not working.

The reason I prefer 2 partitions is to separate data from the OP and registry entries and when I defragment I only have to do the windows drive (the data drives hardly ever need doing).

In the command prompt what do I type if I want to reformat the hd?

VNAM75 17:13 17 Apr 09

Regarding question 5, I remember windows 98 and may be xp where you can choose between ntfs and fat32 when installing a new op system. Which one should I choose or is that not relevant any more in vista?

cream. 18:03 17 Apr 09

In the command prompt what do I type if I want to reformat the hd?

The command prompt runs within windows, so you can not format your windows drive. You can format your extended partition ( 200Gb) and the 40Gb drive through disk manager.

right click my computer> manage > disk management and right click the space of the drive.

If you want to format the main drive ( 300Gb). You delete the partition in windows setup ( loading a new Operating system ) and resize the drive (C) to the size you want. e.g. you could make your C drive 150Gb and then use disk management in windows to active the remaining space on the drive as D or multiple partitions.

cream. 18:05 17 Apr 09

Regarding question 5, I remember windows 98 and may be xp where you can choose between ntfs and fat32 when installing a new op system. Which one should I choose or is that not relevant any more in vista?

If you load XP pro you will have to make it NTFS if the size exceeds 32Gb or use third party software to change it to fat32.

Vista defaults to NTFS, I think.

VNAM75 19:03 17 Apr 09

Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5