Reinstalling my Radeon 9500

erkmatrix 16:41 14 Jan 03
  erkmatrix 16:41 14 Jan 03

I've been having some problems with my Radeon 9500 graphics card ever since I got my new PC the games I have keep crashing, my taskbar and desktop wallpaper after a while of not touching my machine changes colour to a weird green and purple colour and then needs to be shut down and loaded up again to get rid of it, even restarting it isn't enough to get the proper colours back and in my device manager I have it listed down twice Radeon 9500/9700 series and Radeon 9500/9700 series-secondary. I was told by someone that it shouldn't be listed twice.

Anyway I wanted to reinstall it, I've asked my manufacturer for the correct ATI drivers I would nedd, I'm a novice on computers so just wondered if someone could explain exactly how I would go about uninstalling the two listing and reinstalling my card to see if the faults get fixed.

Phil

misery 19:59 14 Jan 03

Control Panel/add;remove programs and remove the ATI progs. Go to Device Manager and remove both the of the Display drivers and reboot. XP will find the card and install the generic driver for it, you can then update the driver to the latest you previously downloaded from the ATI site.

erkmatrix 10:56 15 Jan 03

I did as you said when I rebooted it said windows has detected a new piece if hardware then it asked for three different ati files, I did a search on my pc and found the in system32 and windows/lastgood, and it installed ok, least I thought it had. It also said that windows has detected a radeon 9700/9500 series- secondary which was the damn thing I was trying to get rid of, could it be possible that the manufacturers have somehow installed two graphics card to my machine?

Anyway I clicked cancel then installed the catalyst 3.0 and control panel restarted my machine and thought when it came back on hurrah its worked only to have a look in the device manager and see the bloody secondary graphics card there again in full glory, so did all that for nothing, any ideas of what I should do.

Phil

Murf 16:35 15 Jan 03

I have a radeon 9000 and it works perfectly and in my device manager there are two entries listed under display adapters. Radeon 9000 and radeon 9000 secondary,so i can only assume that this is actually normal and supposed to be there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…