reinstalling IE 5.5

cottager 22:33 31 Oct 03

Outlook express 5.5 has become corrupted on my Win 98SE machine and I have lost the CD I installed from. Can anyone suggest a site where I can download this version from? IE 6 is not compatible with W98SE - I know I have tried and had to uninstall. Am pretty desperate here so any help wold be much appreciated.
cottager

powerless 22:37 31 Oct 03
  cottager 22:42 31 Oct 03

Can't do any of the suggested things on the site you provided which I have been trawling all evening because there is nothing of IE or OE in the ADD/REMOVE not even IE4 or 5 hence my appeal here.
cottager

woodchip 22:45 31 Oct 03

I have used IE6 with no problems on Win98se, other than it needing constant repairing. And now use Netscape 7 it a lot better. But if you like IE then you can go into Add Remove and double click Microsoft Internet Explorer and choose remove then load from a old mag disc

powerless 22:45 31 Oct 03

Scroll to the bottom of the link ;-)

"If the Internet Explorer Repair Tool Verification does not work, or if Internet Explorer 5 is not listed in the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel, you may be able to start the Internet Explorer Repair tool from a command prompt:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

NOTE: This command is case sensitive."

Best to copy and paste the command and not type.

powerless 22:47 31 Oct 03

Sorry it should be:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

JUst have a read at the bottom.

cottager 23:20 02 Nov 03

Many thanks for your help in this matter. Unfortunately even with all this info I couldn't sort out the computer - not mine but my novice sister's who has a teenager who accidentally or otherwise removed various files/folders!!
As the computer is only a few months old and the very kind shop owner offered to sort it out for her I advised her to take him up on his offer as it was becoming very difficult for me to talk her through what to do via the telephone.
Woodchip - I am seriously considering going over to Netscape. Does one uninstall IE/OE to run Netscape or is it compatible??
cottager

Eastender 23:33 02 Nov 03

If anybody does want an earlier version of IE among others click here

woodchip 17:36 03 Nov 03

You can Run Netscape along side IE it will not affect it or be affected by it. just make which ever you want your default browser

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…