reinstalling 98se over XP.

POP 21:19 08 May 08

I have an old acer laptop that had 98se installed so that I could use my very good scanner which does not have drivers anywhere for XP. My son needed the laptop in an emergency and with my permission installed XP. I now need to remove XP and install 98se but it will not let me.Any help please? Pop

Ditch999 21:25 08 May 08

You need the Win98SE CD. click here to see a step by step guide.

POP 21:45 08 May 08

Thanks Ditch, I have the 98 CD but because 98 came out before XP the drive with XP installed does not recognize the 98OS. I have been to the site in your post and think that I might be able to install using MSDOS & FDISK. Something on the site should point me in the right direction. Thanks again Pop

MAT ALAN 22:02 08 May 08

because it has XP installed it may be on the NTFS file format in which case 98se will not see the drive, it will need to be FAT32.....

VoG II 22:06 08 May 08

This may help click here

Strawballs 22:13 08 May 08

You will need a win 98 start up disc (floppy) and from that you will need to FDISK remove any primary partitions and format and install primary partition then run setup.exe

woodchip 22:16 08 May 08

Not Possible as a strait load over. You need to first use KillDisk to clear the partition Info before installing 98se click here

woodchip 22:20 08 May 08

I use 98se and XP so I know that the above that I posted is the only way to go. in a Free way. AS said XP writes info to the Partition Boot table. This as to be removed before you can do anything with the drive FDISK is no good for NTFS XP info

POP 23:16 08 May 08

Mat Alan, reinstalled XP formatting as Fat32 still would not see 98. Strawballs, Tried the 98 startup disc, no joy. Woodchip, have downloaded "killdisk" will try it out tomorrow. PS thanks for your input, Thanks too every one for your help, much appreciated. Pop

POP 23:17 08 May 08

just realised PS is Woodchip.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017