reinstalling 98se after vat initialisation?

bowl 23:08 11 Jan 06

Hi everyone
I suffered the dreaded blue screen vat initialisation tried to reinstall 98se over the old one it did the check and where you enter setup in dos it says did not find cd drive can anyone please tell me where I go from here. keep it simple please.
thanks in advance

Stuartli 23:40 11 Jan 06

If you have a Windows 9x bootup disk you should check first that Boot from Floppy is Enabled in teh Bios - choose the CD-ROM option after the floppy bootup disk sequence has commenced.

The Windows CD should be in the drive.

If you don't have a Windows bootup disk ask around or arrange for the files to be downloaded to a floppy from:

click here

Also, if and when you manage to install 98SE again, don't forget to also install the "Unofficial" but respected 98SE Service Pack from:

click here

which includes all the updates up to late last year and is the final version.

PC Bilbo 23:46 11 Jan 06

I seem to recall from some time back when I last used Win98 that in the DOS set up the CD drive letter gets moved up so if it was D it will become E drive.

You will find helpful installation guides on click here

bowl 00:06 12 Jan 06

Thanks I have a boot disc and after choosing with cd it doeschecks and stops at dos rompt and says cannot read drive d how do I get to read drive e if it has been changed to that thanks

Bowl

Smiler 00:21 12 Jan 06

I think you type E:/setup.exe at the dos prompt

bowl 00:24 12 Jan 06

Thanks everybody will try those later today post back good or otherwise

Bowl

Stuartli 11:56 12 Jan 06

When you boot from the bootable floppy, do the following:

c:
cd \windows

ren win.com win.back

d: (or whatever drive letter the 98SE disk is in)
cd \win98

setup

This is for a full version for 98SE

woodchip 14:49 12 Jan 06

When using a System Boot Floppy to start Win98 Setup when you choose Start with Cd rom support, it creates a Ram Drive that Dos allocates you CD drive letter to So If you CD drive was D:\ it will be E:\ and so on it moves it up by one letter from the CD drive letter that is normal letter. So you change to the Drive that as the CD in like X: where X is the new drive letter then type Setup and press enter

pj123 15:03 12 Jan 06

What is vat initialisation?

I have never heard of that. I have set up many computers with Win 98SE and have never seen that.

VoG II 15:08 12 Jan 06

Probably 'FAT initialization' ?

pj123 15:26 12 Jan 06

VoG™, good one. V is not very far away from F???

But again I have never had an option of the file system using Win 98SE, it has always been FAT 32.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac