Reinstalled wrong XP disc

shaq01 21:57 17 May 05

I have two Dell laptops running XP. I have recently had to reinstall XP on one but have inadvertently used the wrong disc. I only realised on registering XP after the installation.

Can anyone let me know if this is likely to cause problems?

mattyc_92 22:00 17 May 05

YEs it would... It would be classed as illegal.... You will have to format and re-install the correct version...

DieSse 22:05 17 May 05

It may - but if both CDs are the same version, all you have done is apply the wrong Product Code.

You can actually change the Product Code and re-activate quite easily. click here

Your system may re-activate with no problems - but if you have to phone MS to reactivate, don't panic, just tell them what's happened.

shaq01 22:20 17 May 05

I did reactivate after installation by phoning the number given and had no problems entering the keys etc.

It is a mistake which I am quite happy to discuss with Microsoft as I own two computers and two licenced versions of XP. All I want to do is have a quite life and avoid a reinstallation if possible.

Here's hoping they both continue to work.

woodchip 22:28 17 May 05

No as the disc is the same it is the Key that counts. Did you use the right key. And even if you did put the other in don't think there will be any problems unless you have trouble with comp and have to reload the other comp in the next three months. And if you do the load the other disc on that they are limited on how long they can keep you details on file. Data Protection Act

shaq01 08:10 18 May 05

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The worst case scenario is that I have to uninstall and reinstall, which isn't the most difficult thing in the world.

I'll find out as I haven't yet gone online on either machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…