reinstalled windows xp....now no sound ??

antiqcool 07:47 10 Mar 11

I have recently reinstalled windows xp on my computer ( Packard Bell imedia 1307) there is a built in sound card (realtek ac97) windows no longer recognizes this sound card.....so I cannot adjust volume etc. I have tried to download drivers, but I don't know how to install them, or even if they are the correct drivers.....can someone please help ?....thank you

mgmcc 08:46 10 Mar 11

If you go to click here and click the link at the right "Link for the Old Page" it takes you to listings on an 'ftp' server. You need to find the listing that relates to the date and operating system of your PC.

Drivers will normally be either a .ZIP file or a self-extracting .EXE file. Extract the contents into a folder where you know you can find them again. Go into Device Manager and double click your sound card (probably with a "question" or "exclamation" mark against it) to open its Properties sheet. In the Drivers tab, click the option to update drivers. Choose to install from a specific location and 'browse' to the folder where you extracted the files. Windows will probably look for an .INF file and then install the sound drivers.

SparkyJack 08:48 10 Mar 11

Motherboard Utilities CD?
If so load that and select the sound card.
If not and you have downloaded the drivers what form did it come to you as.
As a .exe file - small hardrive icom or as a .cab file which looks like a disx out side its box.
Either way simmply double clik and Windoxze will run it.

Or highlight the file, right click select 'copy'
Now go to 'Start'[bottom left] select 'run'
right click in the field [where you type stuff] snd select 'paste' then left click 'run'
Come back when done with the result-

antiqcool 09:26 10 Mar 11

Hi MGMCC

Thanks for the reply.

If I go into device manager and open up "sound, video and game controllers" the realtek soundcard I used to have does no longer show up. If I go to control panel and click "sounds and audio devices"

and click audio....the default device for sound playback and sound recording is now

Modem 0 line playback
Modem 0 line record

There should be a realtek ac97 in there, there was before I reinstalled windows xp

Now it's gone ??

birdface 09:58 10 Mar 11

Not sure if this is the one that you want.

click here

woodchip 10:17 10 Mar 11

windows update should see the hardware and give the option to download drivers. you need to do all updates anyway, so go to start windows updates it will come under hardware on the left, think its under software

antiqcool 11:55 10 Mar 11

this is what is written on my tower, and nothing else.

Product name iMedia 1307
Model type UTOW-SAN
MSWHQL No SAN 984517
PID 0474786
P/N PB 13316901
MIM

I have already downloaded and installed the following drivers from here....

click here

I bought the PC in 2004/2005, so I installed the following drivers, but it still won't even recognize that I have a realtek AC97 built in card installed.....not there in device manager, and not there in control panel sounds and audio devices.....it was there before I reinstalled windows xp, and now it's gone. So no volume controls anywhere.

2004-2005

Realtek HDA Audio 5031 (2)
Realtek HDA Driver.exe

2005-2007

Realtek HDA Audio 5031
Realtek HDA 5391.exe

finerty 12:32 10 Mar 11

are you sure there, there should be a cd that has software or the hardware called a driver cd or something similar, i have realtech yet i have install the drivers from another cd it could have the motherboards name on that cd

finerty 12:34 10 Mar 11

if you install the windows xp disc and go to device manager see if its there with a yellow question mark you may have to left click to install, i use to do this with a very old laptop

Graphicool1 12:37 10 Mar 11

Download and install...click here

Jollyjohn 13:12 10 Mar 11

Next time you boot tap F2 until you get into setup
on the second tab - advanced - navigate down to resource configuration and look for AC97 - ensured it is enabled.
press F10 to save changes and exit
When pc reboots windows should find new hardware and at this point you could install the driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5