reinstalled windows and now no sound

shannianni 15:02 07 Aug 09

hi there thanks for looking

i have a problem a complete an utter virus made me delete and reformat my computer.
it was a shop bought one and have not got the driver cd.
how can i tell what sound driver i need,
under device manager i have yellow ? on these

other devices
multimedia audio controller
sm bus controller
video controler

universal serial bus controllers
which has a yellow ! on
universal serial bus (usb) controller

i had sound before and need it again please can someone help, i have downloaded - siw.exe

many thanks

shannianni

PalaeoBill 15:26 07 Aug 09

If it is a branded PC, go to the manufacturers web site find the Support/Drivers option and stick in your make and model number.
The next easiest option is to take the lid of the system uint and look at the motherboard, you should be able to see the name written on the graphics chip or the identification of motherboard itself. Then just Google that.
Some PC's display the mother board Id number in the bottom right hand corner of the screen for a few seconds when booting up just as they go through POST. I have used a digital camera on a number of occasions to capture the number. Again you can just type this into Google and get the motherboard details including those of the embedded graphics etc.

PalaeoBill 15:27 07 Aug 09

Sorry I meant bottom left corner of screen for MB id number.

Stuartli 16:12 07 Aug 09

If you go to System Information (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information), from System Summary your motherboard manufacturer is listed alongside System Manufacturer and the motherboard model alongside System Model.

Night Ryder 04:53 08 Aug 09

Stick a trumpet up ya pants that should do it

PalaeoBill 12:24 08 Aug 09

Stuartli

I have a ECS 945G-M3 motherboard, if I follow your instructions SI tells me I have an INTELR maunfacturer and a AWRDACPI model. This doesn't tell me that the embeded sound card is a Realtek.

There is software live Everest that can do the job but it is much easier to remove a few screws and read the motherboard id.

click here

PalaeoBill 12:28 08 Aug 09

Night Ryder. Have you considered growing up. Your clearly not a complete idiot as you seem capable of using a computer on the internet.

Stuartli 14:08 08 Aug 09

No, it won't.

You have to go to Components>Sound Device to find out the details of the Realtek sound chipset...:-)

System Information rightly reveals, for instance, that I have an MSI motherboard, model number 7021, although it's also known as a KT6V-LSR (LAN/SATA/RAID).

The KT6V-LSR has a Realtek A655 on-board sound chipset.

PalaeoBill 15:54 08 Aug 09

Yes but... shannianni's problem is that the sound driver isn't installed and therefore System Information can't know what it is.
The point I'm trying to make (badly) is that System Information doesn't always give you enough information to determine what driver you need. In my case all it would give, if I hadn't installed the Realtek driver, would be INTELR and AWRDACPI. Which tells me that it is an Intel(R) chipset, it has an AWARD (AWRD) bios and and Advanced Configuration & Power Interface (ACPI). It doesn't tell me that the sound chipset is Realtek and indeed not all AWRDACPI motherboards have a Realtek chipset.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac