Reinstalled Win XP too many times - future OK?

Shortstop 16:36 19 Mar 09

Hi,

I have re-installed Win XP for my annual spring clean and got the warning that I had installed Windows too many times & had to authenticate. I called up and absolutely no issues as I keyed in sequence numbers & got them back. Windows working well.

My question is: will I be OK with my next spring clean or will it also be challenged? I have created a slipstream disc with SP2 & 3 that also autoloads the Windows Key - will this be alright to use?

TIA

Paul

gazzaho 16:43 19 Mar 09

As far as I'm aware you can install windows a limited number of times before you get this message, and I've read various arguments as to what may or may not happen if you do it over and over again. The simplest way to avoid it is to buy a program such as Acronis True Image and once you get yor system installed and set up to your satisfaction back the entire hard disk up to DVD, this will take about 3 or so disks. Then when you want a clean out run the Acronis boot cd and restore the backup, no no problems with authentication as it's restored to the time of the backup.

woodchip 17:45 19 Mar 09

While you have it as you want it, Why not spend on Acronis True Image. Create a Image this you can put back in seconds without going through all the Rigmarole of Reloading

DieSse 22:34 19 Mar 09

"I have re-installed Win XP for my annual spring clean"

Why? My copy of XP has been running fine for about 6 years now without a re-install - and if anything is running better than ever. And I mess with it quite a lot (!)

Look after it and you won't need to re-install.

Shortstop 19:21 20 Mar 09

Looks like I'll have to break open the wallet & buy Acronis TI then :O)

DieSse - this is just the way I have always done this - spring clean both software & PC every year to get rid of the detrius!

Thanks again & ticked,

Paul

ACOLYTE 19:25 20 Mar 09

I have reactivated my copy of windows more times than i can remeber,somtimes it works online other times i have to call MS,and everytime it gets activated with no problems.I think this is a piracy thing more than anything else,i cant see MS refusing to activate legit paid for copies of there OS no matter how many times you need to activate it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced