Reinstalled drive allocated letter 'I' not 'C'

PCA reader 11:51 25 Sep 05

Heading says it all.
I straight swapped a suspect drive ('C' and the only one) with a later equivalent and it has been allocated letter 'I'.
Why did this happen?
Drive 'C' has now been allocated to my Scandisk card reader.
Seems to be a problem loading BTopenworld s/w as it examines Drive C for sufficient space before installing and so errors. There doesn't seem to be an override to go look elsewhere.
Am I likely to encounter any other problems?
Should I rebuild XP again? And if so how do I ensure my hard drive is allocated 'C' ?

Thanks,
John

Hamish 12:00 25 Sep 05

Try support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844&sd=tech -

PCA reader 12:06 25 Sep 05

Thanks Hamish but article says..

'Changing the drive letter of the system volume or the boot volume is not a built-in feature of the Disk Management snap-in.'

So I assume as this is my one and only drive with no partitions then I can't change the drive letter with htis snap-in.
Or ?

John

thms 12:13 25 Sep 05

click here;en-us;223188

thms 12:14 25 Sep 05

oops
try again click here;en-us;223188

Hamish 12:15 25 Sep 05

I do not really know the answer but try typing Changing Drive letter into Google and see if that will guide you to a fix. Someone else in bound to offer better help

PCA reader 12:21 25 Sep 05

thms....neither of those pages are available.

Hamish - tried what you suggested and more of the same ie the Msoft article you originally linked.

I think I'm goin' have to get in touch with BT
and see iof there is a later Home 500 s/w which doesn't assume drive 'C'.

Anyone else any ideas please?

John

Hamish 12:32 25 Sep 05

As no one else appears to be coming in try typing a slight variation by typing Changing Hard Drive letter into google. It brings up different pages

SANTOS7 12:35 25 Sep 05

click here
this may help,god luck..

MAJ 12:44 25 Sep 05

There is a way to do it click here , PCA reader, but it might be tricky. You might be safer disconnecting all drives, reinstalling the main drive and see if it's recognised as the C: Drive then. But as a lot of the registry entries will refer to Drive I:, disconnecting all other drives and reinstalling XP might be the safest bet.

Graham ® 12:55 25 Sep 05

You will need to contact Microsoft to activate XP on the new drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…