reinstallation of xp home edition from Dell cd

Kingfisher 18:29 09 Mar 10

Good evening can anyone advise with this problem please. My friend has a pentium 4 Dell desktop which is so so slow have done all the clean ups etc,but to no avail.So I have been suggested that a fresh install of xp is the way to go. the problem I have is that she appears to have a pirate copy of xp pro on her pc. I want to carry out a reinstall using her Dell xp home reinstall disk. Question will I still be able to boot from the Dell disk and complete a reinstall,whilst the pirate xp pro is on the pc, or will it prevent me from going any further.Would appreciate some advice on which way to go. Apologies for long winded posting

woodchip 18:34 09 Mar 10

Right Click my computer\Manage\Disc Manager
Look to see what Partitions there are look for Hidden Partition, as this could have the Image that the CD would Restore

michaelw 09:23 10 Mar 10

There should be 2 hidden partitions with fat32. I think 1 is for drivers and the larger, 3gb, with the os.

On older Dells you should be able to restore to factory settings by pressing Ctrl and F11 on bootup.

Kingfisher 16:19 10 Mar 10

Thankyou both for your advice will try tomorrow and report back

Kingfisher 17:00 10 Mar 10

Following on from my posting it seems that I may have to put my friends hard drive in my pc and delete corrupt windows patition and reformat,and then carry out reinstall, have had a look on my hard drives in Disk management but both drives show delete partition and format commands greyed out and therefore unavailable, when i put my friends hard drive in my pc how will i make these commands available, I am administrator and have also tried in safe mode but commands are still greyed out, any help would be appreciated
many thanks

woodchip 19:07 10 Mar 10

in safe mode choose admin, tapping f5 as computer is starting

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:18 10 Mar 10
  lotvic 22:59 11 Mar 10

Try with HDD in original pc and don't forget you will need to download the Drivers as well from link on left menu click here
""2 When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold <Ctrl> and then press <F11>. Then, release both keys at the same time.
Note:
Some systems like Inspiron Mini 9 (910) do not support System Restore as they do not have <F11> nor any substitute.
If the key strokes are not working or you do not have PC Restore any more. You will have to do a manual reinstall.
Manually Reinstall Windows XP click here

3 In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore. Alternatively, press <Tab> to highlight Restore, and then press <Enter>.

4 When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press <Tab> to highlight Confirm and then press <Enter>.

The Progress window will appear. Once the restore process starts, Dell PC Restore by Symantec usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to finish.

When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear:
The system recovery process was successful.""

I have always found that Dell OS CDs are just ordinary OEM versions.
You will need the Product Key that is on a sticker on the pc case tower if you manually reinstall from the CD.

Kingfisher 14:13 12 Mar 10

Thanks to you all for your postings, unfortunately I tried to do a repair installation with an xp pro disk, (not sure about validity of disk) but at the end of the repair, pc hangs and will proceed no further, so I have had to take pc to a professional to sort it. I also think I have lost her data picture etc, didnt back up first, so Feel that I have let her down,and Iwill pay to fix it. Have learnt a lesson that I always tell others back up, back up, back up, Will post back outcome I hope data can be recovered

michaelw 14:39 12 Mar 10

PC Inspector is good for data recovery and is free click here

Kingfisher 16:39 19 Mar 10

Got pc back from local repair man and he managed to retrieve all data, install a clean copy of xp home, I have installed all programs pc now running as sweet as a nut, thanks for all your advice, have bookmarked various links. one question when a frsh install is carried out are the onboard sound/ video drivers also reinstalled or would I have to go looking for them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced