Reinstall XP Top of Itself

axelbrora 22:57 05 Feb 06

After numerous booting up problems I tried reinstalling XP on top of itself, however what it did was move my original version to my D:drive and reinstall a new bare bones version in my c: drive. This allowed me to get booted up, restore my original version with all my programmes and settings and get back to normal except:

1. I need to select an operating system when I am booting up and make sure I choose the right one.

2. My good, now restored, version with all my programmes and settings is now on my D: drive along with my downloaded and general storage files and my bare bones version, with nothing installed on it, is on my c: drive along with my programme files.

The computer is running great but how do I get rid of the extra bare bones version of XP sitting on my C:drive and get my restored version back to the c: drive where it belongs?

I know I can reformat my hard drive and start from scratch, but this would be very painful!

Axel

VoG II 23:02 05 Feb 06

Edit the boot.ini fie to show only the OS ypou want to load.

axelbrora 11:48 06 Feb 06

>>Edit the boot.ini fie to show only the OS you want to load.<<

Yes, I believe that bit is easy but should not be necessary if I can do the rest.

Regards

MidgetMan 16:42 06 Feb 06

Change the d drive to become the c drive, all you need to do is change the hds on the ide cable and re jumper them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now