Reinstall XP with a SATA HDD

onthelimit1 12:52 PM 29 May 12
Answered

Have been given a HP Compaq CQ10-101SA with a damaged HDD and no recovery media. Am aware that I need to slipstream drivers into XP SP3 (have a disk), but am struggling with the process.

Google has led me to using nLite for the purpose. The snag comes when I have downloaded (what I believe) is the correct driver package from th HP site and unpack it, nLite tells me to integrate the .inf file, but there isn't one.

I've never had to try this before, so would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks (off out on a job - will check back later).

robin_x 13:14 PM 29 May 12

Is it a file like sp12345.exe?

These are self extracting archives.

Open with WinRAR or 7-zip or something and have a look at the files inside.

robin_x 13:15 PM 29 May 12

Sorry. Did you mean you already tried that by unpacking? No idea then if you already tried that.

onthelimit1 13:33 PM 29 May 12

Hi robin - the download is sp46160 and withing that, I can't find a .inf.

Chegs ®™ 13:41 PM 29 May 12

I did a slipstreamed XP CD just recently,am using my phone to post this but will fire up the desktop and relocate the webpage with the instructions and post the link here.

PC Bilbo 14:03 PM 29 May 12

If you mean SATA drivers, generic ones are included in SP3 already.

Chegs ®™ 14:49 PM 29 May 12
Answer

http://maxeasyguide.blogspot.co.uk/2008/04/preparations-for-winxp-installation-cd.html

According to this page,when you open the SATA driver file,(create a specific folder for them)that's where you'll find the .inf your missing.

onthelimit1 15:02 PM 29 May 12

PC Bilbo - when I try to install XP, it says no HDD present.

Chegs - thanks. That's the guide I was trying to follow. Perhaps I have the wrong file, as when unzipped, there are no .inf there. It came from this HP page.It downloads as an exe file. Could you have a look and see if I have the wrong one? Thanks

onthelimit1 16:48 PM 29 May 12

OK, turns out it didn't need to be an inf file after all. Followed the guide, and now have a slipstreamed XP SP3 with SATA driver - and it works! Another skill to tuck away for another day.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites