reinstall XP Pro

freefx 21:40 22 May 03

Lately havind lot of problem with booting up my PC with XP Pro. Keep getting the blue screen and occasionally took several attempt befor it boot sup again. Even safe mode doesnt help. It just doent load windows. Wonder whether i can reinstall XP Pro without affetcing any of my data file on Hard Disk
Any suggestion anyone?

AndySD 21:45 22 May 03

Boot from the CD

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

There is nothing to worry about as long as you follow these steps to repairing Windows XP.

freefx 22:32 22 May 03

Thank you AndyCD. I shall that a go next time my PC wont load XP

majoroak 19:17 29 May 03

I need to repair/reinstall win XP Pro. Hoping to do the former I tried the above suggestions but, when coming to the License Agreement screen, pressing F8 did not do anything. I was hoping to repair first but - what worries me is, that if I choose to re-install instead, I will still not be able to get past the Licence Agreement screen. I have the OEM disk.

Win XP is crashing around every 30 mins with error messages re. win 32.sys and now NTFS.sys.

I am getting a little desperate.

Despicable Desperado 22:44 29 May 03

Boot from the XP cd. At the first 'R' prompt ignore this and continue as if doing a full install. You will then get a second 'R' prompt. Take this option. It will do what is virtually a full reinstall of XP but keep your files etc intact. You will however have to reinstall any Windows service packs/updates.

majoroak 07:23 30 May 03

Thank you. I'll try that.

AndySD 07:45 30 May 03

Try using chkdsk first click here

majoroak 08:36 30 May 03

Thanks Andy. I have done that and the disk came up clean.

I cannot reinstall or repair as suggested above because when getting to the License screen F8 does not work - I cannot get beyond it.

I'm not sure whether this might be relevant but whenever I boot up the Microsoft cordless USB mouse is not recognised. If I ensure that I have the corded one connected I can then re-boot and the cordless functions. I have reinstalled the drivers for the mouse.Clutching at straws here.

PC still crashing with various error messages including the two above.

AndySD 08:48 30 May 03

The mouse first ...boot into the BIOS/Setup (tap away at delete when you tuen the pc on) and using the arrow and enter and esc keys to navigate find USB Mouse or legacy usb devices or similar change it from Disabled to Enabled.

Next boot into windows and try the system file checker

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

majoroak 09:39 30 May 03

Thanks Andy, you are a great help.
I have done all you suggested. Could not find mouse in Bios so uninstalled and re-installed via disk. Now in Bios I can see USB hub enabled. I had four extra USB ports put into the machine just after I bought it . However, on rebooting same problem - no USB mouse function, restarted and it is ok. Scanned disk as suggested.

What I am wondering is if there can be a problem with the USB hub itself - if there is, could this result in all the crashes?

Also do yu know a way around the not being able to use F8 as above in case I need to reinstall?

AndySD 09:49 30 May 03

If the hub is now working ok then I would suspect its more likely to be a driver problem elsewhere. Do you know the make/model of the motherboard and if so try updating the chipset drivers. If you dont know this small free program will tell you. click here.

As to the F* problem I will go look.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…