Reinstall XP Pro

Major Disaster 12:48 18 Jul 05

Im gona have to reinstall xp on my dell laptop as a repair install didnt fix some of the porblems ive been having with it. Ive been looking on the net for some guides to help me through, but quickly got confused as there seem to be many differenct ways to reinstall.
The way i thought it, you put in the disk, install xp over the top of itself and then was left with a brand new os (with no documents or programmes from the provious install, right?) Is this then what this guide is talking about? click here

Diodorus Siculus 14:27 18 Jul 05

The guide is good; one of the best out there in many ways.

What you can remember is to format the disk when the option is given - that will remove everything.

Major Disaster 16:16 18 Jul 05

Sorry i havent posted in a while.
But if i dont reformat the disk, will i be able to keep all my old documents and settings and would that just reinstall windows again (or what)?
Thanks for any help

Completealias 16:42 18 Jul 05

If a repair installion which you tried hasn't worked then the next step really is to reformat and install xp from stratch so you'll need to back up all of your docs and settings before you proceed

Major Disaster 19:48 18 Jul 05

Thanks for the response but that still hasnt answered my question.
"But if i dont reformat the disk, will i be able to keep all my old documents and settings and would that just reinstall windows again (or what)?"

VoG II 19:53 18 Jul 05

The answer is "Yes" but you said that you tried a repair before and it did not solve your problem.

Major Disaster 20:33 18 Jul 05

Huh? So are you saying if i reinstall XP without freformatting that is the same as a repair install?

VoG II 20:34 18 Jul 05

Yes. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…