reinstall xp home using xp media recovery disc?

rickd 12:59 05 Feb 07

After some diagnosis, I'm working on the assumption that the hard drive in my 2 year old laptop is very sick, and I'm going to replace the HD to see if this solves things. The laptop came with OEM XP home edition installed for which I have the key code, but I don't have a recovery disc, and I can't access the sick HD's recovery partition to make a copy. I do have an XP media edition recovery disc from my other PC. If I install this will I be able to authenticate windows using the laptops product key, or will I need to borrow an xp home recovery disc, or even buy a new OS?

mammak 22:32 05 Feb 07

you seem to have slipped down a few pages
not sure about this but well bump you up,

someone should be able to help good luck.

Totally-braindead 22:50 05 Feb 07

It is my understanding that this will not work. I could be wrong but I am led to believe that the OS has to be the same ie Home for Home, Pro for Pro. As well as that you mention it is a recovery disk which is likely to have some differnences anyway.
Only suggestion is ask your mates if any of them have a Home disk they would be willing to lend you, as long as you use your code and not anyone elses that would work. Any Home disk will work with your product key but it is my belief it has to be Home because the product key will not match.

mammak 23:02 05 Feb 07

I could not be sure hence my reluctance to offer suggestions,
But I think you might be right maybe the best solution is to loan a XP Home disk and use your product key.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos