Reinstall XP

sil_ver 14:15 11 Mar 07

A friend gave me his laptop to try and install a B'band modem but I've found the install s'ware says it doesn't have an ethernet port which is untrue and goes to USB. which is fine, but I found also that SP2 is not installed and wont install which means no Firewall, Also I can't uninstall Symantic's AV as it needs a password. This lappy was originally part of a firm's network and when the person left the company was allowed to keep it. I guess there must be some software installed to stop tampering. Anyway, I managed to get it validated with M'Soft as genuine but still no luck trying to update it. I've decided to do a complete reinstall of the system after downloading a load of drivers from Toshiba. Question: Is a 'normal' copy of XP compatible with a laptop. If, while waiting for a new copy of XP, I use my own legal copy of XP to install wouuld I be able to use the COA on the laptop to validate it.

cowboy62 14:23 11 Mar 07

yes it should be compatibe as long as the laptop meets system requirements as for activateing it all depends on your copy of windows oem or retail

sil_ver 14:33 11 Mar 07

My copy is an OEM I think 'For installation on a new PC'. Perhaps I should mention, altho' XP is installed the laptop came with no software even though it does have a COA sticker on it. As far as I can tell there is no restore partition.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:36 11 Mar 07

1. check in device manager that the ethernet port is enabled / drivers installed for the ethernet controller.

2. If, while waiting for a new copy of XP, I use my own legal copy of XP to install wouuld I be able to use the COA on the laptop to validate it.

Yes but check it is same version ie XP pro you do not need to "buy" a copy as you lready have the leagal COA.

sil_ver 14:53 11 Mar 07

Tks FB That puts the kibosh on it then as mine is the Home version. I do have a 'Trial' version of XP Pro tho'if you know what I mean.
As for the ethernet port it's not mentioned in device mgr

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video