Reinstall Windows / Format PC

spoon005 19:15 18 May 04

I have been getting an "Unexpected Kernel Trap Mode Error" for quite some time now, which results in a blue screen coming up when I try to boot my computer, and it just restarts. I can only start Windows in safe mode.

So I realised that I need to move on and give my PC a proper fix.

This question might seem trivial, but I am no PC expert and being a student, I have limited resources available.

I am running Windows 2000 and basically my question is: where do I go from here?

I don't know how to go about renstalling/reformatting/deleting my PC and I have no Windows CD with me here.

Basically, should I go to come sort of PC Clinic and ask them to do it for me... or could I just get (buy?) a new Windows CD and reinstall it at home, alone?
I am afraid they might charge me a ridiculous amount for a job that could otherwise be done easily.

So... to cut it short, what do I do? How do you go about 'starting afresh' with Windows?

Thanks and... apologies for my stupidity.

Smegs 19:21 18 May 04

First off, you need to get a Windows OS. When you have this, re-post.

spoon005 19:25 18 May 04

I got it.

struggle8 19:26 18 May 04

have you resently installed a fire wall

spoon005 19:28 18 May 04

Yes I did install some Firewall/Antivirus Software and the first happened the morning after I had installed it so I assume it's because of that.
Plus my system was already running Norton AV 2000 and
I hear it tends to cause stuff like that.

spikeychris 19:28 18 May 04
  struggle8 19:30 18 May 04

Windows NT, 2000 or XP will crash with an "Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap blue screen" error do u have norton or symatec firwall, av The system is running Norton AntiVirus (NAV) version 2002. To confirm this is the problem, turn off the "Auto Protect" feature in NAV 2002 by right-clicking on the "NAV 2002" icon in the system tray near the clock

According to Symantec, this is the result of a Stack Overflow in Windows caused by the NAV 2002 drivers.
atec av
Solution:Symantec has issued a LiveUpdate to address this issue. If you are experiencing this problem and you are running NAV 2002, please run the Norton LiveUpdate and download all available updates. Note that you may need to run the LiveUpdate multiple times in order to bring your copy of NAV 2002 up to the current version.

struggle8 19:31 18 May 04

hope that helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…