Reinstall Win XP Pro

cagey 10:20 21 May 06

My computer is running Win XP Pro. I have 2 HDD, a 40Gb partitioned into 2X20Gb partitions (C&D) and a 160Gb partitioned into 2X80Gb partitions (E&F). The operating system is on C drive and programs are on D drive, E & F are used mainly for photos and video. I have accumulated a lot of rubbish on C drive and wish to format it and reinstall win XP, but I do not want to format D drive. Will it be OK to just format C and reinstall widows?

Chris-347369 10:35 21 May 06

Once you format the C drive a lot of your programs will stop working as they're connected to the operating system through the registry and the like

Stuartli 10:38 21 May 06

An XP Repair and Install are two different things.

Just Repairing XP retains all your programs, applications, configuration, settings etc. See:

click here

on how to undertake a Repair (saves me typing it out!)

cagey 12:21 21 May 06

Hi Stuartli, will try Repair avenue first. Thanks for info.

cagey 15:13 21 May 06

Have been backing up data etc. If I do not have success with "Repair" can I just Format C drive and leave "D" drive as is, I appreciate that I will have to reload any programs again?

GaT7 16:09 21 May 06

cagey, YES to both your questions. Don't forget to back up your email messages - if OE you can use this method click here. G

cagey 16:52 21 May 06

Crossbow7, thanks for coming back. I am having a problem backing up my emails as I am with tiscali email system and cannot find out how to back up messages, it does not offer an 2Export" facility, any ideas anybody?

GaT7 17:32 21 May 06

If you're saying ALL your email messages are stored online at Tiscali (click here) & you do NOT use OE (or similar email client) for Tiscali or any other email address/ISP, then you don't need to back up any messages.

Please get back if you're in the slightest doubt, or elaborate if I've misunderstood. G

Stuartli 18:06 21 May 06

Just one point to note with Tiscali's e-mail storage - it soon fills up...:-)

I found this out last year when, for some reason, my e-mail storage facilities at Tiscali meant I kept getting messages from the ISP that it was overflowing, even though another Tiscali e-mail box and one at Pipex were OK.

Turned out I had not disabled Save Messages on Server for one of the Tiscali accounts in Thunderbird...:-(

cagey 16:20 27 May 06

Reinstalled successfully.
Thanks for all the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…