reinstall Vista

Bersmith 12:16 06 Nov 09

I have mistakenly installed Windows 7 on both desktop and laptop and the activation code only works for the desktop.
I did a 'clean' install on the laptop and want to get back to Vista but cannot find out how to download the system. It came already installed and has been overwritten.
I am a silver surfer and am totally stuck. Can anyone help please.
I have spent a whole day trying to download from microsoft and have my product key for the original installation, but cannot find a download from microsoft.

User-1229748 12:23 06 Nov 09

you will need vista install discs,i think any will do as long as you have your product key.you may also have to change in the bios to have it boot from disc.

rdave13 12:27 06 Nov 09

Have a look on your laptop's documents that came with it. Hopefully when you installed Windows 7 you did not format the 'hidden partition'. There should be a way of getting in to this recovery partition to restore the laptop to 'factory settings'.

User-1229748 12:29 06 Nov 09

sorry,yes,when you said it had been overwritten i thought you meant the recovery partition aswell.

ventanas 13:38 06 Nov 09

Could you please post details of the make and model of your laptop. We should then be able to source the method of recovery.
If only drive "C" was formatted the other partition should still be ok.

Of course the other alternative is to purchase another licence for Win7. Might save a lot of effort.

Clapton is God 13:55 06 Nov 09

And if the laptop does have a restore to factory settings option, ensure that you back up all your files and documents to something such as a pen drive before you even contemplate a restore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…