To reinstall or not reinstall...

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 18:49 01 Jun 08

HELP!!!!
I have been given a lap top, and have had it about two weeks, really fast really good, however (I have downloaded a couple of things), but suddenly the thing is crashing all over the place.
I can't get on line, nor open exel sheets.

I am really stupid as I opened an email in my junk folder, and I feel this may have something to do with it (Although I did install AVG)

I do have the windows XP disc, and wondered if there was away of totally clearing verything and starting again? (Is this reformating, and how is it done)

I have tried to go back to restore PC but it is having none of it.

Please help as it is a much better PC than the one I am appealing on, and would really appriciate any step by step help you could give

Always in this sites debt

Paul

johnnyrocker 18:56 01 Jun 08

depending on your os you could try system restore to before problems occurred.?

johnny

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:59 01 Jun 08

have you scanned for virues and spyware?

Goes through motions, reboots then tells me it could not retore.

I don't know if it has a virus, nor spywear.

I do know I download AVG.

The programmes on machine I do not recognise are...
C-Major Audio and Microsoft Visual C++ 2005.
Not sure if this means anything/ Redistributable

birdface 19:11 01 Jun 08

Will it open in safe mode.If so run your security programs.You could try system restore while in there.Or delete the program that you installed that caused the problem.

I have had the laptop for such a short time, that I can get back the programmes I need, so is it not viable, and the easiest option, to start again with a blank canvass as it were?

sinbads 19:49 01 Jun 08

if you reinstall your OS You will need to insttall all MS updates service packs etc which could take time and not without problems.

I would do as Fruit Bat /\0/\ says run your antivirus/ malware program to see if you are infected, could be that AVG8 was not installed correctly.

Personally i would try and solve the issue ;but the choice is yours.

Ditch999 19:52 01 Jun 08

My vote goes to System Restore in Safe Mode

How do I system restore in safe mode?

sinbads 19:58 01 Jun 08

he's allready said restore doesn't work;but not sure if he has tried other restore points?

Ditch999 19:59 01 Jun 08

F8 just after you switch on PC. Select Safe Mode

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac