Reinstall of OEM Vista Ultimate fails

AlanHo 10:42 21 Aug 09

My wife's old Dell desktop is no longer "fit for purpose" so I decided to build a new one for her and at the same time upgrade some components in my desktop computer.

In my computer I changed existing components for an Intel Q9650 CPU, Artic cooler, ASUS P5QL-E motherboard and 4 GB of DDR2 1066 MHz memory. Having used Windows 7 successfully for a couple of months as a dual boot I removed my OEM Vista Ultimate and now use Windows 7 PRC exclusively (with a full retail version on order).

My existing Intel Q6600 cpu, Zalman cooler, ASUS PK5C motherboard and 2 GB of 800 MHz memory were re-used in a new Antec case with 500W PSU, new graphics card, 2 new SATA hard drives and 2 SATA DVD-RW drives to make up her new computer. Because her new computer used the core components from my computer I assumed it was OK to reinstall the OEM Vista from my machine on her new hard drive.

However - when I tried to install Vista on the new/old build it refused to get beyond the point where I had to choose which drive to install it on. I got a message saying "This computer's hardware may not support booting up to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS memory".

However BIOS settings were all OK.

I then formatted the hard drive tried again and then got a message stating "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation" and the installation refused to continue.

I was nonplussed because in effect all I am trying to do is reinstall Vista on the same motherboard, with the same cpu, same graphics - but in a new case and on a new hard drive.

Thus stymied - I installed Windows 7 without a problem

What's going on here? - I'm very puzzled.

dastardly mutt 11:03 21 Aug 09

Swapping your HD for one of hers and installing Vista on the oem drive taken from your computer may work.
Vista should have SATA drivers included but the OEM DVD perhaps doesn't?

dastardly mutt 11:05 21 Aug 09

Forgot to add, the SATA drivers may be on a hidden partition of the old drive.

AlanHo 12:03 21 Aug 09

Both computers have identical SATA hard and DVD drives. The Vista CD installed without a problem on my original computer onto the motherboard and cpu etc it is now not working with. Hence I doubt that it is an issue with SATA drivers.

In any event - Windows 7 (which is based on Vista) installed without a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now