Reinstall Directx-possible?

dagwoood 14:31 17 Jan 05

I have a problem with 2D rendering that wasn't resolved click here

I'm now 90% sure that I need to reinstall DirectX to correct this problem.

Is there a way to reinstall DirectX without having to do a full operating system reinstall?

I don't have a restore point that goes back far enough to just run a restore, and, although I'm on SP2, removing SP2 isn't an option available to me(that's another story :) ).

I'd rather not do a complete reinstall if I can help it because the last time I did this, it took over 5 hours to get everything installed/configured and was the reason I purchased a copy of Norton Ghost.

I want to reinstall v9.0c of DirectX on Windows XP.

Cheers, dagwoood.

alan227 14:41 17 Jan 05

Just found this on another forum.

To reinstall DirectX place the CD in that has the DirectX that you wish to attempt to install and search that CD usually D: E: or Q: for Dxsetup. Once found double click and choose the option to reinstall. We do not recommend that you attempt to install a lower version of DirectX onto a higher version unless it is completely uninstalled.

Irishman 14:44 17 Jan 05

click here

It's a big download though you can save it to your hard drive as a backup. Just choose "save to disc" when you press the download page.

AndySD 14:44 17 Jan 05
  Irishman 14:44 17 Jan 05

Should be Download Button!!

dagwoood 14:54 17 Jan 05

Alan227, I have attempted to do that, but it never gives me the option to repair. It will only gives me the option to install, and if I try that, it just says it's finished and it's installed.

Irishman, I did download that, but this also didn't give me the option to reinstall either. I found out later that the download is the same as the copy I have on CD.

Cheers, dagwoood.

alan227 15:04 17 Jan 05

Have you thought about doing a repair install with XP.
If you do you will have to reinstall sp2
their is a walk through on this procedure here. click here
This will leave all your documents and programs intact.

AndySD 15:35 17 Jan 05

click here to uninstal. But have you tried updating your graphics card drivers?

dagwoood 19:21 17 Jan 05

Thanks for the input guys, it's appreciated.

AndySD, I've tried numerous Nvidia and modded drivers and non of them have cured this problem. Each uninstall was accompanied by the use of DriverCleaner to make sure nothing was left over.

Thanks again, dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…