Reinstall on Dell laptop

Frank P 13:10 03 May 06

Hi, I've got hold of a Dell inspiron 5000e laptop running Windows 2000 pro but its a mess and I need to reinstall. I've got an I386 folder on the hard drive but the files in it have the last letter of the file extention changed to an underscore. Also there is no winnt.exe or setup.exe etcetera. But there are a few etra folders in I386, $OEM$, $WIN_NT$.~BT, SYSTEM32, UNIPROC. I also have a Dell folder but I can't find any info on how to reinstall. I'd be really grateful for any help you can give. Many thanks.

The Kestrel 16:51 03 May 06

You normally reinstall windows from either the recovery or full windows program CD that should have come with the laptop. When you boot up from CD you should be given the option of a full install, which means that all data on the hard drive will be deleted, the disk reformatted, and a fresh copy of windows installed.

Frank P 23:35 03 May 06

Okay mate cheers, I thought as much only problem being I don't have any disks. Can anyone tell me how to log onto Windows 2000 Pro as Administrator, maybe I can sort the problems out from there.

FatboySlim71 09:54 04 May 06

If you can log onto Windows 2000 Pro as Administrator, the chances are you will need some files off the Windows CD to sort your problem out with, did you not get any Windows discs etc with your laptop, because you should have, if you have not got the Windows CD's you will have to buy a Windows disc and these are not cheap, this site has Windows 2000 Pro at £102 thats including vat. click here

Frank P 13:19 04 May 06

Okay thanks for your help. cheers.

The Kestrel 15:36 04 May 06

If you have to buy an new Operating System, then why not go XP Home. You can buy it from click here= for £58, which is a lot chaeper then windows 2K.

The Kestrel 15:38 04 May 06

Sorry meant to add that you would need to completely reformat the hard drive and partition it before installing XP.

FatboySlim71 17:23 04 May 06

I was just an example, in case you had wanted to put your old operating system back on as you would have known your way around it, I agree you would be better to put XP on.

Frank P 18:27 04 May 06

Thanks guys maybe XP is the best route to go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…