reinstall backed up files

mark3986 21:28 10 May 10

Ive just recently upgraded my laptop to windows 7 64bit.From wndows vista 32bit but first i backed eveything up from my windows vista 32 but dont know how to get it on my windows 7 so any help will be greatly apprieciated thank you

Zeppelyn 21:53 10 May 10

Well firstly, how and where did you back it up to?

MAT ALAN 21:54 10 May 10

Does the prog you used for your backup run on a win 7 64 bit system..

mark3986 21:59 10 May 10

no the programme doesnt run on windows 7 it was windows vista recovery programme and that isnt on here.and ive backed it up to a external harddrive

MAT ALAN 22:05 10 May 10

Then with what little knowledge i have acrued over the years technically i would say you are STUFFED...

click here

or nearly STUFFED...

MAT ALAN 22:15 10 May 10

click here

follow thread, all may not be lost, OH how we learn...
Hope it works...

MAT ALAN 22:17 10 May 10

click here
might want to read this as well...

mark3986 22:38 10 May 10

hi mat i dont understand that mate could you explain it to me thanks

Zeppelyn 23:53 10 May 10

If the back up is indeed a .vhd (Virtual Hard Disk)filethen all is not lost. Open Disk Management (open the Start menu of Windows 7 and in the search box type diskmgmt.msc, right click and select open.

In Disk Management select Action from menu then Attach VHD, point this to your back up and it will be mounted and shown in My Computer where you can select and copy/move the files.

mark3986 00:22 11 May 10

these files are compressed files so how do i fix these

MAT ALAN 07:52 11 May 10

Zeppelyn, thanks for the help, do you know if there are any issues regarding the fact that the files are compressed, do you have to unzip them first then try and associate tem to a .VHD to be able to read them...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant