Reinstal XP problem

Jonno131 09:40 13 Jul 10

My XP Home PC went into a continuous restart cycle so I tried a Repair instal. (It wasn't a PSU problem). The repair went as far as the restart after copying files stage then the PC restarted in Safe mode with the message" Windows cant continue instal in Safe mode etc. I tried restarting with the XP CD in the CD drive but the same thing happened. (CD rom is set as the first boot device). I decided to do a complete reinstal on a spare HD but now it doesn't seem to be looking at the CD drive in the boot sequence and I get a message "NTLDR is missing press Ctrl Alt Del to restart". Can anyone help please?

gengiscant 09:58 13 Jul 10

Obvious question I know, but is the spare hd's jumper set to master?

Ex plorer 10:27 13 Jul 10

Have a Read at click here

Jonno131 15:21 13 Jul 10

Thanks both. The HDs are both SATA. Have followed the link, but the solution depends on being able to boot from the CD rom drive. Dont think I have a problem with the drive itself but it harks back to the failed XP Repair. I'll mess around some more but any suggestions still welcome.

canarieslover 15:26 13 Jul 10

What service pack is your XP CD? It needs to be SP2 or SP3 to be able to see a SATA drive without installing motherboard drivers for SATA early in the install.

Jonno131 15:35 13 Jul 10

Thanks canaries lover. It's SP2 and I have done a successful Repair Instal with it previously.

woodchip 15:43 13 Jul 10

Try removing all power from the computer including remove the mains cable from the back, then press and hold Start button on PC for few seconds, after connecting Power Cable retry a Repair using the XP CD

Jonno131 21:34 13 Jul 10

Thanks all - messing helped. I dont know why but when I disconnected an IDE drive which was slaved to the CD drive the XP setup CD was seen OK. Strange but I'll mark this off as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…