Reimage System analysis ~ Findings

Graphicool1 15:33 15 Feb 11

WinXP SP3

They recon my PC is 71% OK. The following is a list of the problems, that they say they can fix ~ If I buy their software...

Windows Explorer (Not IE)

Drwatson Postmortem Debugger
(This went belly up some time ago)

Windows Product Activation
(How can this be fixed?)

Msiinstaller

Nview_info
(I guess this is Nvidia, my graphics card)

Sfacid.exe

So, what do you guys say, can you tell me how to fix these things.

gengiscant 16:08 15 Feb 11

nview_info is the nView Desktop Manager of your nVidea graphics card.
Unless you are running dual monitors it is unnecessary. Problems with it are widely posted.
You can stop it from starting via start | run msconfig | startup (uncheck it) or use ccleaner's Startup tool.

Sfacid.exe
Something to do with Sony perhaps?

Msiinstaller.
Any idea what program this is associated with?

Dr Watson debugger.
Most people don't use the debugger, anyway. If you want to disable him, run regedit.

Find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug
and change the value of Auto to "0" including the quotes. It is probably "1" now.

If you'd rather just control what the good Dr. does when there is an error, Run: drwtsn32
and set the options.

What is the problem you are having with activation? have you tried doing via the phone option.

Graphicool1 16:38 15 Feb 11

This is what I know and what I've found out...

'sfacid.exe'
Sonic Foundry Acid ~ It's one of a set of music editors/composers. I only use them occasionally and it's been a while since I last did so. I think the reason that this has been pointed up is because you don't actually install and run it from the PC like other sofware. You install the basic software, that creates a presence on your PC. But to use it you have to insert the disk.

'Msiinstaller'
I think they are referring to the 'Windows Installer' itself, previously known as 'Microsoft Installer' rather than an installer of an individual programme.

'Dr Watson debugger'
Yes I suppose I could just knock it on the head.

'nview_info'
Yes I am aware that it is to do with my grapgics card. But I'm unaware that I am having any trouble with it. Further to this though, when I run driver update software they always tell me that there is driver updates for my Nvidia. However, when I go to their website and let them check they say my drivers are upto date!?

'Windows Product Activation'
As for this, once again I am at a loss why they are pointing the finger at this. Although something happened the other day that has only happened before when I've done a clean install. I switched my PC on, in the usual way and before it opened Windows I got a 'Windows Product Activation' message. It told me that I'd changed a lot of hardware ~ which I hadn't ~ and I'd have to activate Windows within 3 days. I did it straight away, online. The only thing I've changed in the 7 years I've had it is the HDD for a larger one. Being as I wasn't actually online when I got the message, I guess that the message is on my PC and programmed to pop up occasionally!

gengiscant 17:48 15 Feb 11

I am a a little wary of using driver update software,foolishly I tried one recently and it said my sound card driver was out of date,so downloaded and installed,result no sound.

So will not use again,I'm quite capable of updating myself.lesson learned.

As for the activation problem I had the same type of thing 2 or 3 times with XP, I have even had it once with Windows 7, so prided it activated OK,its nothing to worry about.

Windows installer,this perhaps?click here

GaT7 18:00 15 Feb 11

Regarding Windows Installer, you'll want the newer version 4.5 click here - download & install the last one in the list: WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe. Whenever I reinstall XP (with SP3 included), it's one of the first things I do. G

Graphicool1 09:33 16 Feb 11

Will do G.

Graphicool1 09:58 16 Feb 11

(1) Do I have to find and uninstall my present 'Windows Installer' before installing the new one?

(2) The following is a question that I posed in my last thread. No-one answered it, for future reference...

How do you feel about a 'Windows repair Install'?
I realise I would have to also reinstall all Windows updates too. But all or most of my software would be as is.

Graphicool1 10:12 16 Feb 11

Services (Local) and looked for 'Windows Installer'. It isn't 'Started' and it's set to 'Manual'. Windows is telling me to 'Start' it.

I have downloaded the new Windows Installer, but as yet I haven't installed it. Will it uninstall the old one or install over it?

Should it be set as 'Manual' or 'Automatic'?

GaT7 10:26 16 Feb 11

(1) No, it will just upgrade/replace whatever version you have now. The install will set it to whatever status it needs - there are no manual settings to be made in Services or elsewhere.

(2) A repair-install would be good, but as I recall you don't have the original install disc? Also, as there is a slim chance it could go wrong, a thorough prior data backup is recommended.

Also if things go wrong with the repair-install, perhaps you can use a program like PickMeApp click here (free now as in beta stage), to backup & restore the software that you cannot reinstall afresh.

What nVidia graphics card do you have? I can do a manual check for you. G

Graphicool1 11:09 16 Feb 11

(1) I downloaded and installed 'Windows Installer' without a hitch. I've checked it and it's started. But it is still set to 'Manual'...

"there are no manual settings to be made in Services or elsewhere"

...should I change it to 'Automatic'

Or will you Start/Run/dcconcnfg/Services (Local)/Windows Installer
and see if yours is set to 'Manual' or 'Automatic'

(2) You've got a better memory than I have ~ not difficult though ~ my disk says it is a MESH 'Recovery CD-ROM'. When i put it in the player it says...
Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP what do you want to do?
(Then it lists the following)...

Install Windows XP

Install Optional Windows Components

Perform Additional Tasks

Check System Compatibility

(When I click - 'Perform Additional Tasks' it says)...

Set up Remote Destop Connection

Set up a home or small office network

Transfer files and settings

Browse this CD

View the release notes

~ If I were to click on either...

Install Windows XP
or
Install Optional Windows Components

would I not get the option to do a repair install?

"PickMeApp" sounds good, I'll certainly give that a look.

My Graphics Card is...

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

Cheers G

Graphicool1 16:02 16 Feb 11

Have you forgotten me?

"What nVidia graphics card do you have? I can do a manual check for you. G"

Here it is again...
"NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400"

As I said, when I looked it said I had the latest. But the driver finders are not deterred, they are convinced that there is another!?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5