regular motor running

Henryk 19:10 26 Jul 05

i hopesomeone can help with this.
I run Win 98 2nd Ed.
AVG anti Virus.Adaware with Adwatch and Zone Alarm.

Over the past few days my PC has been constantly going through what I think sounds like a motor running. It happens at any time whether there is activity or when the computer is sitting idle, unconnected to the net. It does not indicate that the hard drive is running at the time, although at times when it occurs the H D is running. I get the inpression it is hunting. It just sounds like a fan running rough.

howard60 19:20 26 Jul 05

it would pay you to remove the cover and see if you can identify where the sound is coming from. It more than likely is a fan and could be the cpu cooler or the power supply. Also some video cards have a fan on them as well. If a fan dies you could have a severe overheat problem with loss of components.

octal 19:53 26 Jul 05

Have you left a CD in the CD drive?

Dorsai 20:11 26 Jul 05

I'm also with those who say it's a fan on the way out.

a "grr grr grrr grr" noise is often the sign of a fan in the final stages of it's life.

I always think it sounds more like a cow moo-ing than a motor running.....

In any event, it's a good idea to find out now what it is that is about to die, rather than wait for it to actually fail, as if it's the CPU fan it might fry your CPU when it gives out. Ditto if it's the fan for the PSU...

A rolled up sheet of A4 can be used as a "sthethascope" to help locate the source of the noise, once the PC has been opened up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…