Regular Maintenance - What do you do?

kentylad 18:55 01 Mar 04

I was just wondering what peoples' maintenance patterns were for their own systems.

I tend to only use the pre-installed windows options such as scan disk and defrag (possibly once every two weeks for defrag) and I also manually delete my Temporary Internet Files (and Content.ie5) almost every day.

Just out of curiosity really and the possibility of getting a few tips!

Nick

Sir Radfordin 19:07 01 Mar 04

Nothing.

Computer turns itself on at 8am and I turn it off some time before 1am if I'm lucky.

The only thing that runs on a regular basis is Norton's virus scan and if I'm working when that starts I often stop it.

I have done things like run defrag/scandisk/deleted temp files in the past but they seem to make such a tiny difference I simply don't see the point.

Most modern PCs are running at only a tiny amount of their capacity so there is plenty of scope to still push it without seeing it struggle.

kentylad 19:09 01 Mar 04

Each to their own - what you may not see the point in; someone else might find greatly helpful

Constructive replies was what I was after....

Nick

BurrWalnut 19:22 01 Mar 04

Although disk space is not an issue these days, it's always best to remove anything that is unnecessary to the smooth working of the computer. Here are some files/programs that can safely be removed.

1. On a regular basis run Disk Cleanup and delete Temporary Internet Files. They are accessed via Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools.

2. In C:\Windows\Temp delete any files with an extension of TMP providing they are more than a day old.

3. If you use AdAware remove all (except the latest) the BCKP extension files from C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Quarantine and all (except the latest) the TXT extension files from C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Logs.

4. If you use Grisoft AVG remove all (except the latest) the files with an extension of AVG from C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\Log and all the files from C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\Update

5. If you're not using Norton anti-virus remove Taskmon via Msconfig. Also remove the contents of C:\Windows\Applog where a count of the number of times a program is used is stored. It supposedly speeds up the defragmenter but I haven't noticed any difference.

6. Run defragmenter weekly or fortnightly.

7. If you use WinXP you can delete all the files in C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\DataColl that have an extension of XML. Also delete the Event Viewer files viz, Start, Admin Tools, Event Viewer, highlight Application, Action, Clear All Events, then click No to the "Do you want to save..... " question. Repeat the above twice by highlighting Security and deleting then System and deleting.

powerless 19:23 01 Mar 04

Delete Internet TEMP files.

Delete the contents of the %TEMP% folder.

Delete MRU.

Boot to SAFE MODE to delete index.dat files [only to be re-created].

Delete IE's HISTORY (about once a month).

Run Check Disk in "Automatically fix system file errors" mode.

Move any files to their NEEDED location.

Scan with Adaware and S&D.

Scan with NAV (Liveupdated).

Restart.

Defragment.

...Then take an Image for Backup.

woodchip 19:34 01 Mar 04

I clean up after every session on my Comp. What other do is up to them. But as soon as I have done on the net I clean History Cache files etc/ and at the end of the day I do the lot. I use Norton Speed Disc to Defrag, And Disc Doctor to Scandisk these are about the only utilities I use from the Norton Suit I do not have Norton Running at Start. I only have the minimum Programs at Start

radi8or 20:04 01 Mar 04

For Ref

sattman 20:37 01 Mar 04

I now use click here at end of each day. This one programme is remarkable gets rid of masses of daily junk, I also use Adaware and spybot. However since using "cleanup" Ad-Aware and Spybot have very little if any work to do.

Also use Norton Utilities - Find and fix problems.

Defrag using Norton about once a month.

Using Windows ME (and dare I say it) No problems.

GroupFC 21:47 01 Mar 04

For reference

Belatucadrus 22:05 01 Mar 04

click here is another good system cleaner.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:12 01 Mar 04

Format: C ;-)))

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now