Regseeker backups

hoverman 18:03 18 Feb 04

Although I have never had any problems using Regseeker to clean out the registry, how do you restore a backup if ever needed? When a backup is right-clicked I only get two choices: 'Open in Regedit (or double click)' or 'Delete selected items'. Doing the former brings up a message stating that Windows cannot open the file.

hugh-265156 18:15 18 Feb 04

click with "left" mouse button to restore.

hoverman 18:32 18 Feb 04

Left click what with the left mouse button? I am left clicking Backups in the left hand pane which brings up a list of the backups. Then I have the situation as described.

hugh-265156 18:59 18 Feb 04

you said above "When a backup is right-clicked"

im saying dont right click it.

from lhe list of backups available just click the one you want(double click)with the "left mouse button"

windows will ask you if you want to put the info into the reg? click ok.

hoverman 19:23 18 Feb 04

When I left double click a backup I get the same message - Windows tells me that it cannot open the file and give me two options - 'Use the web service to find the appropriate program' and 'Select the program from a list'. There is no message asking if I want to put the info into the registry.

Gongoozler 19:29 18 Feb 04

I've just tried it. Opened "Backups", double clicked on an entry, and up pops the message "Are you sure you want to add the information in xxxxxxx to the registry".

Does anyone know where a "How to use Regseeker" guide can be found? I've looked and failed.

hugh-265156 19:35 18 Feb 04

ok.

in the folder you placed regseeker into there is also a folder called "backup"

open that folder directly and you will see your backups.they are named eg/ "clean-18-02-2004-19-30.reg" todays date and time etc.

do they have a .reg extension? if not rename it with a .reg ext.

do you have xp? can you open any type of .exe? if not click here

hoverman 19:57 18 Feb 04

The backup does have a .reg extension and I can execute exe files. The link you refer to refers to the Sircam virus which is NOT on my system. A complete re-install of XP was done last Friday by an engineer who replaced a faulty Zip drive and a virus scan of the HD shows up nothing at all - absolutely clean.

hoverman 20:18 18 Feb 04

Have just done a registry clean with jv16 Power Tools and restored the backup successfully. I have tried removing RegSeeker and installing again with the the same backup problem. Will stay with jv16 from now on. Thanks to all for your suggestions - much appreciated.

Huggyg71 - I downloaded the Symantec removal tool for the Sircam virus and nothing was found.

hoverman 21:00 18 Feb 04

PS Meant to say that I noticed that RegSeeker was not listed in Add/Remove programs afer installing. Should it have? jv16 Power Tools is listed.

hoverman 21:16 18 Feb 04

PPS Just had a look at the file types in Folder Options and there is no entry listed as REG.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…