RegScrubXP v3.25

standby 16:35 15 Dec 07

I have downloaded RegScrubXP and after running a scan on the registry some 76 problems are indicated.

As advised, I have backed up registration entries HKCU and HKLM in a folder on the desk top but find the advice given, to simply double click the "entries" to fully restore the registry as it was before using RegScrubXP in event of problems a bit strange.

Just how a double click on the entries in a folder on the desk top can correct mistakes made to the registry I fail to fathom.

Before making any deletions it would be good to have information from someone familiar with
RegScrubXP regarding the above. I am rather dubious in fact whether it is safe for me to even attempt what is to me the unknown.

Help appreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:46 15 Dec 07

Been using RegscubXP along time and never had a problem with it.

Double click will just "script" the entries back into the registry.

But I wouldn't bother if it says then can be safely removed then they can.

Sheik Yerbouti 16:48 15 Dec 07

Registry cleaners will back-up the things they delete in a file with the *.reg extension. Double clicking on a .reg file will effectively replace those deleted items back where they were deleted from within the registry. (undoing the delete).
I would be wary of using reg cleaners, though I do use CCleaner from time to time. always keep the reg file they create for a few weeks, in case you need to undo any changes.

cocteau48 17:00 15 Dec 07

Please have a care despite Fruit Bat /\0/\'s recommendation.
RegscrubXP left my machine totally inoperable - even the facility to restore the backup would not work.
A system restore in safe mode was the only way I could get things running again.
Regseeker did the same but at least the backup worked in that case.

sunny staines 18:48 15 Dec 07

I too had minor problems with regscrubxp.

standby 20:42 15 Dec 07

Many thanks everyone for your replies to my query.

I now understand to some extent the backup system but, though you are totally positive
Fruit Bat /\0/\, the other answers make me aware that tinkering with the registry is very dodgy indeed. I may have 76 problems according to the program but with no obvious interference in the computer system I reckon I will take very small bites indeed and with some time between bites to be on the safe side.

Regards and many thanks.

standby

standby 20:42 15 Dec 07

Many thanks everyone for your replies to my query.

I now understand to some extent the backup system but, though you are totally positive
Fruit Bat /\0/\, the other answers make me aware that tinkering with the registry is very dodgy indeed. I may have 76 problems according to the program but with no obvious interference in the computer system I reckon I will take very small bites indeed and with some time between bites to be on the safe side.

Regards and many thanks.

standby

skidzy 22:30 15 Dec 07

not for one minute would i contridict Fruit Bat /\0/\, but from my personal experience with Regscrub it can be a little aggresive at times.

I used to use this on a few machines,but i had a few issues and like above,using system restore from safemode was my only escape route as the backup was not totally reliable.

Now i stick with
Ccleaner click here Free
Winaso click here (regopt Version) Not free

standby 16:14 16 Dec 07

skidzy,

Fruit Bat /\0/\'s wide experience is appreciated but I do now realise that my own with regard to correcting a corrupt result of tinkering with the unknown would be very hit and miss indeed.

Once again thanks to each for your advice.

Regards standby.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009