Registry/Config system corrupt or missing.

Howling Mad Murdock 18:44 18 Jun 06

On switching on my monitor, PC was already running, the pc was in the BIOS update mode. I had previously logged off my account in Win XP and then cleaned the keyboard with a brush and blower. Can only assume keystrokes caused PC to reboot and enter BIOS update.
On restarting PC it immediatley stopped and error message "missing or corrupt windows/win32/config/system." The operating system then refused to load or enter safe mode or allow to go to previous working backup. Tried to repair with Win XP disc but file error "corrupt_registry" with blue screen then kept happening. Tried to reinstall Win XP but same error occurs. Cannot get passed this error.
Have two hard discs installed and disc d has win 2000 installed and will allow me access to the machine.
Have windows restore points on the c drive but how do I replace the current registry with them. Or replace config system?
Can you think of anything else that could be tried to resolve this problem? Have too much on the c drive to just reformat it and start again.
Your thoughs/ideas would be appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 18:50 18 Jun 06

Seems you have access from D drive with Win2K, why not save your data as a start. From there you can begin to work on a reinstall.

woodchip 18:50 18 Jun 06

Well that was a stubid thing to do. and you have me licked with K2 as I have 98se or XP

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:13 18 Jun 06

Boot to win 2k and use explorer to delete the corrupt files and replace from the c:\windows\repair folder

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software

copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam

copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security

copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Reboot to XP and use system restore to go back to a point before the error ocured

woodchip 20:25 18 Jun 06

Reboot to XP on a Win2000 comp

Howling Mad Murdock 22:13 18 Jun 06

Great post. Problem is I have only one restore point available, todays. All others are not listed and current system now is approx 1 year old.
Any ideas on how to replace the old restore points into the correct folder? Have to say do not know where these are stored or file extn etc.

Howling Mad Murdock 23:42 18 Jun 06

Fruit bat thanks very much for your post as it sent me in the right direction. Do you know how to back up these files automatically so they are up to date? Or is that they really do need to point to last good working system?
Restored the files (registry) from backups made on the 9th May and pc is now operating ok at present.
Thanks again - how were you aware of that trick?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…