Registry repair startup manager.

hiwatt 16:51 15 Nov 07

Hi folks,in msconfig I have only my firewall(comodo)antivirus(avast)and spyware terminator checked to run at startup.However while using registry repair,I noticed in startup manager that as well as them desktop ini x2 CTFMON.EXE and msn msgr where all ticked to run at start up yet there's no sign of them in msconfig.Should it be ok to uncheck them or should I just leave them alone?Thanks.

BurrWalnut 19:11 15 Nov 07

1. MSN Messenger can be unticked but can sometimes return depending upon you running it.

2. Ctfmon is a process used by Microsoft Office for the Language Bar and Speech and Handwriting recognition . Whether you have MS Office or not, that process will be present with IE7 for IE7's Language bar.

If you don't need that functionality, you can stop it from starting up. From the Start menu, Control Panel then Regional and Language Options, then click Languages Tab, then Details, then Advanced tab, then put a check next to “Turn off advanced text service” and hit Apply. This removes ctfmon.exe from the running processes and from starting up on boot up.

If the file is named cftmon it is probably a Trojan.

birdface 19:46 15 Nov 07

ctfmon.exe is Microsoft office,if you un-tick it it will come back the next time you re-boot.I just leave it on,I did switch it off using BurrWallnut's method before but kept getting problems with Microsoft up-dates and other things,So I now just leave it on there,Msn you can stop at start up.Msn.Tools.Options.General,Untick automatically run Messenger when I log on to Windows.Apply.Ok

birdface 09:35 16 Nov 07

Sorry I misread your problem.So cannot give you the answer that you require.But if in doubt leave alone unless someone says different.

hiwatt 10:12 16 Nov 07

Thanks folks.I've never used msn so I unticked that.I just thought it strange that there's no sign of these entries in msconfig,only in registry repair startup manager.I'll probably just leave them alone as I'm not sure what they are.Thanks folks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…