Registry question after uninstalling stuff.

mooly 12:12 03 Jun 09

Looking in the registry I find a lot of entries under various headings, such as current user software, and system etc of folders and sub folders all relating to software I no longer have. I do occasionally run CCleaner but that shows no issues. For example I deleted yesterday ALL Yahoo software but find several Yahoo folders under various headings. Same for some old NTI software.
Are these kinds of things a problem... should they really be deleted, obviously I would back up the registry up first. Or best all left alone.

Technotiger 12:19 03 Jun 09

It is best to clear out all orphaned entries where possible, less clutter less problems, which is why I use Revo un-installer ...

Run Revo without making any adjustments to its un-install procedure what so ever. When you are asked to re-start your computer .. DON'T re-start at that point - let Revo continue.

When you get the option, usually twice, to Select All and then to Delete All ... DO SO, do not be picky.

After finally clicking on Finish you should then Re-start your computer.

mooly 12:30 03 Jun 09

Thanks Technotiger. See Revo mentioned a lot lately. Never actually looked at it, will Google it, and run a backup too.

sunnystaines 12:33 03 Jun 09

i always check the software part in the registry even the best registry cleaners and uninstallers leave these behind. I just highlight these and delete and re run the registry cleaners again.

One bonus for this is often free trial software that has expired and deleted gets another free trial if reinstalled.

mooly 12:41 03 Jun 09

Thanks sunnystaines. Finding these old entries under both current user and local machine keys.

mooly 12:57 03 Jun 09

Technotiger... Downloaded Revo. I think you mean to use it to perform the uninstall in the first place ! I think.
Things like Yahoo and NTI aren't in the list as already uninstalled them from Windows control panel. Don't I have to select something to run it in the first place.

sunnystaines 14:26 03 Jun 09

thanks for the tip on Revo seen you post it before but never got round to it. Will give it a try.

mooly 15:20 03 Jun 09

Have deleted the files manually from HKEY_LOCAL and HKEY_CURRENT USER software. Can' see any other entries anywhere.

jimv7 15:40 03 Jun 09

Download the free glary utilities from click here install/update and run.

Also ccleaner from click here

Technotiger 15:41 03 Jun 09

I have been away (Hosp) ...

mooly - yes that was what I meant.

sunnystaines - my pleasure, I always use Revo exactly as I have shown above, never had any problems afterwards.

Technotiger 15:42 03 Jun 09

PS - I also use Glary Utils - excellent little program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos