Registry Problem - unwanted line

Newuser4192 21:52 11 Jun 04

I recently visited a web site which led to a MP3 site that created an icon on the desktop. I don’t think I tried to download anything - it created the link automatically. If I delete the icon it just keeps coming back the next time I start the PC. When I ran a routine virus check with AVG it found a virus called Downloader.Perfiler.B in the file that was downloaded. AVG deleted the file but I now get the message “cannot load the MP3 file”.
The icon shortcut properties give the following:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSA64CHK.dll,DllMostrar Matrix_HTML:GetMP3
Is it safe to just delete that particular line from the registry or do I have to do anything else. I am using XP professional and it only affects my user role.

VoG II 21:56 11 Jun 04

I'm not sure that you need to venture into the registry (yet).

Start, Run, type

msconfig

and click OK. On the startup tab untick the relevant entry/entries, click the OK button then restart the PC.

Newuser4192 22:31 11 Jun 04

I did that and it worked. However, I now get the message saying that te System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Staretup mode. I assume that is correct and I can tick the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" option.

VoG II 22:32 11 Jun 04

Yes, tick the box if you don't want to keep seeing the message.

Newuser4192 22:40 11 Jun 04

Thank you very much for your assistance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…