registry problem?

broggs 16:14 13 Jul 06

hello...I am trying to sort a friends pc out which has become very slow.
I have removed numerous items with a-squared/avast antivirus/system mechanic ect.
Most of the time the cpu usage is at maximum in task manager when running any program.
adaware goes to not responding half way trhough, as does regseeker.
ccleaner goes to not responding when scan for problems.
regscrub xp does not start to scan.
currently spybot is on 1000 defs after an hours scanning (only another 39000 defs to scan for).
I have defragged.
there is 15 gig left on c drive (ntfs)
1.5 gig left on d drive(fat)
by the way both c and d are on one single drive.

I do not have the original xp disk for this drive (xp proff sp1)

Can I do a repair using another xp disk with a different cd key?

or can i do a repair using anything else?

Help!!!

Joe R 16:16 13 Jul 06

broggs,

you could try a system restore.

brundle 16:20 13 Jul 06

restart and scan in safe mode. ewido click here and superantispyware click here are useful too
spybot definitely works in safe mode, not so sure about the two above but worth a try

broggs 19:13 13 Jul 06

system restore did not work

broggs 19:18 13 Jul 06

sptbot on 4000 now

Totally-braindead 20:46 13 Jul 06

If the machine is as riddled with stuff as you seem to be saying perhaps it would be easier to blank it and reinstall.

I consider this a last resort and of course they will lose any info they have on it but at least you would know it was clean.

Before considering it however you must make sure they have the windows disk and the motherboard drivers disk as well as others such as graphics card, sound card , modem etc. A friend of mine blanked his the year before last and discovered after he had done it that he had lost/misplaced his windows disk and had to buy another.

Totally-braindead 20:50 13 Jul 06

Oh it might be stating the obvious but if you do this give them some heads up on the maintenance they must do regarding anti virus and spyware to prevent this happening again. If you are unsure of what is necessary then someone will easily advise what you should have and do to protect your PC.

squillary 23:50 13 Jul 06

Does Task Manager point to what program is hogging all the processing resources, or is it all of them? This may point to where the problem might be rather than it being a registry corruption.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5