//some 3rd party need geo

registry key

JohnC123 21:43 27 Aug 05

Can someone please explain how to create a registry key.
I have a wireless network and one laptop keeps on making its own IP address (APIPA) I have found out how to stop it but part of the solution is to make a registry key. How ? is not explained.

VoG II 22:07 27 Aug 05

Right click, select New.

Skills 22:21 27 Aug 05

First start then run type regedit this will open the registry editor on the left you will see the various keys expand the one you require and then on the right hand pane as Vog states right click and select new.

A word of warning if you mess things up in the registry you can end up with a pc that will refuse to play ball make sure you make a backup of the registry first at the very least a system restore point.

PC Bilbo 22:34 27 Aug 05

If you use XP You can use the inbuilt Windows Wizard to clone the settings of first device onto USB Drive and transferto the other,again using the wizard.

JohnC123 06:36 28 Aug 05

Thanks - I already got as far as right click and adding "new" but, how to name it and where to put it, when I add "new" it makes a key called 'default' What I need to know is what to do next - I am using Windows ME in this case.
I'm sure this might seem very simple to you but I really need a step by step guide to making this registy key.
Here is what I'm trying to do:
In Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\DHCP

Create the following entry:

IPAutoconfigurationEnabled: REG_DWORD

Assign a value of 0 to disable Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) support for the selected network adapter.

JohnC123 06:36 28 Aug 05

Thanks - I already got as far as right click and adding "new" but, how to name it and where to put it, when I add "new" it makes a key called 'default' What I need to know is what to do next - I am using Windows ME in this case.
I'm sure this might seem very simple to you but I really need a step by step guide to making this registy key.
Here is what I'm trying to do:
In Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\DHCP

Create the following entry:

IPAutoconfigurationEnabled: REG_DWORD

Assign a value of 0 to disable Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) support for the selected network adapter.

mattyc_92 14:50 28 Aug 05

Navigate to " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\DHCP"

Now right-click (on the right hand side of the window) and select "New" and click "DWORD Value". Now just rename that value to "IPAutoconfigurationEnabled" and you are done. You may need to double-click it to change the value's...erm.... value to "0" as it may be set to "1".

If you need any screen-dumps (images of what it looks like on your screen), just ask

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…