Registry item-.pf extension not used?

dagwoood 16:59 27 Dec 04

Recently my system is slow in opening programs and it now takes about 3 seconds to close my control panel for my graphics card.

So I've done the usual(defragged, used CleanUp, anti virus scan, AdAware, Spybot s&d)and they found nothing/didn't improve the situation. I even went back to an earlier version of Catalyst drivers to see it that cured the slow closing control panel, but it doesn't. I've also ran chkdsk and then Maxtor h/d diagnostic s/w to rule out a h/d problem, but both utilities didn't find anything wrong.

I've run regseeker and this item, HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pf, is being shown as extension not used. I navigated to it using regedit and it's showing as value not set, the same goes for the associated entry OpenWithList.

As this file extension, .pf, is for prefetching, I wandered whether this is the cause of the slow down.

What's confusing is if I go to Windows/prefetch, this folder has prefetch files in it(all with .pf extensions, apart from the one .ini file),as it should have, as prefetching is enabled on my system.

Could someone please check in their registry for me and see what values, if any, you have please? Or is this entry even on your system?

I'd be grateful for any input/advice, dagwoood.

Gongoozler 17:25 27 Dec 04

Hi dagwoood. I can't help much, but I don't have HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pf

I'm using XP Pro with SP2.

VCR97 18:59 27 Dec 04

Same results as you. XP Home/SP1.

dagwoood 19:59 27 Dec 04

Thanks for checking for me guys.

From what a couple "cyber friends" have said, some have this entry, some don't. It seems it's not an integral part of XP or everyone would have at.

Thanks again, dagwoood.

CurlyWhirly 21:33 27 Dec 04

I am running XP with SP2 and I *don't* have the .pf entry either only .pdf, .pls and .png!

I *was* looking in the right place, namely, HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\

dagwoood 21:50 27 Dec 04

Thanks for checking m8 :)

Cheers, dagwoood.

CurlyWhirly 22:07 27 Dec 04

Thanks for checking m8 :)

No probs!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…