Registry Help

peterleemaxwell 14:45 17 Sep 04

Hi,
After losing my CD-r and DVD drive icons I was advised to alter some settings in the registry.
(Win XP). They are:-"Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

NOTE: If you are getting a code 39 message, it may be that additional third-party filter drivers were added to UpperFilters and LowerFilters values in addition to Adaptec filter drivers. In that case, you may try to remove the non-Adaptec filter drivers first, leaving the Easy Creator filters in place to see if the Code 39 goes away. If you still receive an error code 39, 32, or 31 message, remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely in the preceding key.

Restart your computer".
Can anyone help me do this in simple terms, in a straight forward easy way, hope to get a reply. Thanks.

Baledor 15:05 17 Sep 04

Before making any adjustments to the registry - back it up in case there are any problems.

To do this go to Start - Run, type 'regedit', when the registry opens select 'My Computer' then click File - Export and save it somewhere where you know where to find it again, maybe for extra security you could stick it onto a floppy.

To find the key the help is telling you about follow the name of the keys from left to right, so click:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CurrentControlSet - Control - Class - {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

And then make the changes they have detailed above, I can't be more helpful about this bit as without seeing the keys I can't descibe it any better.

To remove the values select them in the right hand pane and right click and select delete.

HTH.

peterleemaxwell 16:16 17 Sep 04

Thanks for your help HTH. Better placed to go to a scary place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…