Registry full of invalid entries

Tigger2 10:27 30 Oct 04

Help……

My PC is steadily running slower & slower & someone suggested that the registry might be full of cr*p from old software etc…….

I have installed & run Regseeker which tells me I have 408 invalid entries & would I like to delete them.

Being a nervous type I am loathe to do this as I understand that a corrupt Registry equals much misery……

Can anyone offer some tips on what to look out for, what it’s OK to delete & so on.

Thanks for your help guys

Cheers
Tig

The Spires 11:05 30 Oct 04

I have deleted all invalid entries with Regseeker & RegSupreme for years I don't think it has ever causaed me any problems. I do believe it's one of the things that helps keep my pc's almost trouble fee.

MichelleC 11:10 30 Oct 04

You can always backup your registry 1st by using 'export' and 'all' to say desktop. Double-clicking icon will revert registry back.

Tycho 11:13 30 Oct 04

I have found that my free copy of Ashampoo keeps resgistry and Hard disc nice and free from rubbish. The free copy was on PCADvisor CD a couple of years ago but the web site will let you download a trial version. See if that helps.

N

CurlyWhirly 20:31 30 Oct 04

I have installed & run Regseeker which tells me I have 408 invalid entries & would I like to delete them.

Surely if you had 408 invalid entries then surely Windows wouldn't load up in the first place?

stalion 20:35 30 Oct 04

It is quite feasible to have that many invalid entries, every time you un-install or delete files some peices are left in the registry
Regards

stalion 20:37 30 Oct 04

free reg cleaner if you need it
click here

Dan the Confused 20:50 30 Oct 04

I've used RegSeeker for a while now and always delete everything without ever having a prob. Do as MichelleC says and backup your registry first, RegSeeker will also make it's own backup of the changes it makes. 408 invalid entries is reasonable for the first run of a registry cleaner.

CurlyWhirly 20:56 30 Oct 04

XP must be a pretty resilient operating system to still work with hundreds of registry errors!

JonnyTub 21:03 30 Oct 04

does this help?

"Understanding the Windows Registry
Your system's registry is a central database used to store information necessary to configure the system for preferences, applications, and hardware components. Registry repair and preventative maintenance is important because the registry contains information that is constantly referred to by the system during operation. The more preferences, software applications, drivers, and hardware components that are installed on the computer, the more complex the registry becomes. Registry repair becomes critical when this registry becomes corrupted or littered with keys no longer relevant to your system. The Windows registry is a vital part of Windows and if it is damaged then your whole system may be corrupted."

VoG II 21:03 30 Oct 04

Usually these hundreds of errors are trivial such as file associations. No reason for Windows not to load.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…