registry editor

pip18 22:31 02 Aug 05

my dvd drives wont autoplay and i've read a solution in pc advisor that says start the registry editor but i dont know how, help
i've allready tried microsoft autoplay repair wizard and it has disabled both drives and i cant get a dvd or cd to play at all.
thanks in advance pip 18

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:50 02 Aug 05

but assuming you are using XP:

Click start, click run, type regedit, click OK and this will open the registry editor.

As a word of warning, if you are not completely au fait with editing the registry you really shouldn't do it.

Lastly, always make a backup before doing anything to the registry.

Tas

curlylad 00:16 03 Aug 05

Just as a start click start button , click run , then in the box type sfc /scannow , then click OK.This will then check your system files through.When it has finished see if you have the same problem then post back if you do.

P.S. You must type in the box EXACTLY as I have putn it i.e sfc , then a single space , then forward slash and finally scannow this is assuming you are using windows xp.

p;3 08:51 03 Aug 05

having reread the above; may I suggest that, if you are as this sections says, an absolute beginner, you do not go anywhere near the Registry nor try and change anything in it ; unless you know precisely what you are doing you can mess things up beyond repair; reading a solution in a magazine or on a web or forum site is one thing, but ones ability, capability and knowledge of what exactly one is doing and why , is a completely different matter; this is one thing I for one would leave to the experts;you might wish to describe to the forum a bit more of what exactly is happening, or not, with you machine, and please give your operating (windows )system as it is relevent to helping sort your particular problem:)

recap 16:40 03 Aug 05

I would try curlylad suggestion first before going in to the registry.

As p;3 says if you do not know what you are doing you can do some serious harm to your system.

Whenever you are thinking of going and doing some editing in the registry it is 'Best Practice' to back up your system before entering the registry.

Stuartli 16:58 03 Aug 05

Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>Shell Hardware Detection>Return this service to Automatic.

Or:

Start<Run>Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet\Services\Cdrom
AutoRun = 1

Or:

Enable CD AutoPlay for Pro or Home (Line 10)

click here

Or:

Other Auto Play options here under (A) AutoPlay and (C) CD-Roms

click here

(Microsoft Support advice).

VoG II 17:26 03 Aug 05

If you do go into the registry make a backup click here before you make any changes.

pip18 20:48 03 Aug 05

after sending my problem i carried on reading other queries and one gave the advice for a free download called lexun regscrub xp so i ran a disc that had a regscan and clean up on and did what it said. i now have my pc reading and copying again but it still wont auto play so thanks for all the advice i will try some of them soon after i've gained a bit more confidence but for now i will just think i've had a lucky escape.
i run xp sp1 and had tried system restore but it still would not read the disc's, i would get the message no disc in drive d, or drive busy,

VoG II 22:16 03 Aug 05

Open Windows Explorer or My Computer.

Right click the CD drive and select Properties, check if the AutoPlay tab is there. If so check that the required options are ticked.

Then click Start, Run and enter services.msc

Scroll down to Shell Hardware Detection and make sure that this service is Started and set to Automatic.

rdave13 02:02 05 Aug 05

Once again thanks for good info..Noted and bookmarked

smurfling 16:40 09 Aug 05

go to microsofts website and download autoplay fix, it works fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…