registry editor

rasalom 23:24 28 Jul 04

I know windows allows you to edit the registry yourself but I have always been a bit 'nervous' about doing this.

Does anybody know of a good registry editing program that I could use instead.

LastChip 23:33 28 Jul 04

Registry editing programs are only as good as the user.

You have to keep in mind, the registry is a CRITICAL database of your system, and hacking "Keys" around is not a good idea, if you are unsure about what you're doing.

RegEdit, was a Microsoft offering from some years past, and you can still find sites offering a download by using a search engine. This is my preferred Editor, as I think it is the most "gentle" of the breed.

RegSeeker is a popular choice here, although I did use it to do some serious cleaning on a machine and it almost trashed it. It was only my knowledge of possible recovery solutions that dug me out of a hole, so that one, use with care!

Finally, if your nervous or unsure about what your doing, leave well alone.

Cook2 00:04 29 Jul 04

100% behind LastChip. Download this click here
It's user friendly and hasn't given me any problems.

hugh-265156 01:49 29 Jul 04

before you do anything to the registry back it up. click 'start/run' and type 'regedit' click 'ok' then click 'my computer/file/export' and save it to somewhere handy. clicking on the saved file will import the old values if anything goes wrong. maybe also make a system restore point if you have xp or me as a further backup before continuing.

as above, i use regseeker click here and i always delete anything it finds, this has never gave me any problems when cleaning up the registry. jv16powertools is also top notch but its only a 30 day trial (which may suffice if thats all you want) click here

thats just clean up but if you want to edit existing entries then you are on your own. don't fret though, there is lots of info available via google if you search for it, some of the best sites for reg tweaks are click here click here

rasalom 23:32 30 Jul 04

thanks for these.

Anybody know of any more good registry editors?

Strawballs 23:59 30 Jul 04

click here Try this one used it for years it has never suggested anything that has been a problem

GroupFC 00:19 31 Jul 04

I think RegCleaner has been updated click here

hugh-265156 01:56 31 Jul 04

click 'start/run' and type 'regedit.exe' or 'regedit32.exe' are the best editors,these come installed with windows.

all the above links are registry cleaners.

what is it you wish to edit?

hugh-265156 02:00 31 Jul 04

typo sorry.

start/run regedit.exe or 'regdt32.exe'

Dorsai 08:09 31 Jul 04

As no one else has said it, when you go into the Registry to edit it, it is a good idea to 'export' a copy, and give it a file name that you will remember 'registry before edit on 31 07 04' say. this gives you a backup of it before you accidental stuffed it up.

rasalom 23:26 02 Aug 04

Thanks to all for these suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…