registry editing in xp

I have been looking in the registry files on my pc, and I have noticed quite a few entries for programs that I have used in the past and removed yet they still have entries relating to them.

Is it safer to leave them be, or remove them, and do they take up lots of space.

And why are they left behind if the program they belong to has long been removed.

Many Thanks,

[email protected]

plsndrs3 16:00 01 Dec 03

I Use Regscub XP free from click here

JIM 16:17 01 Dec 03

Poss. this?

RegScrub XP Shareware

Windows xp uses al lot of harddisk space, with the registry it’s no different. More is better they’ll have thought. To take away the unused files, from for example removed software

RegScrub is the answer. This tool removes al the unused dll and other files that
stay behind.It analyses your registry and cleans up with an undo option.

click here

plsndrs3 16:19 01 Dec 03

That link no longer works. Try this one instead click here.

I forgot to respond to your question about why these are left in the registry. Some programs like the infamous Kazaa actually deliberately leaves some programs installed [usually known as Spyware], others bypass the registry if other bits of the program are left and some just don't bother - presumably in case you decide to reload them. Then there are the timed programs on a trial basis that also leave their mark on the registry to stop you simply reloading the program & getting another XX days free to sample the goods.

Regular sweeping of the registry is good house keeping simply to remove invalid entries and dead ends & Regscrub XP is probably one of the better ones to use!

Regards,

Paul

rawprawn 16:20 01 Dec 03

Registry Healer is a great program click here but the demo will only clean out 11 entries at a time. You can either upgrade or just run it several times. It's good & it's safe.

plsndrs3 16:21 01 Dec 03

Sorry about that - realised the invalid link & tried to respond to [email protected] E's question. Slow at typing and you beat me to the mark!!! ;o))))

Thanks for the info & links

[email protected] E

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…