Registry Defrag?

Graphicool1 17:51 30 Apr 09

The idea of doing it makes my blood run cold. Is it a wise or stupid thing to do. Have any of you done it. If so with what and what were the results?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:11 30 Apr 09

Do not mess with the registry if you don't know what your doing!!! ALWAYS make a back up first.

I use CCleaner click here its safe on default settings and/ or RegscrubXP click here

Cleaning the registry is not really necessary unless you have
a virus or malware to remove (the anti virus / malware programs will do it for you)
notice a device problem (CD/DVD drives won't read)
your machine is slowing down badly
our are constantly installing and removing trial software (see slowing down)

Graphicool1 18:56 30 Apr 09

I have the latest version of RegScrubXP it's now called 'RegScrubVistaXP' under 'Options' it says 'Compact Registry' 'Defrag Now'

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:58 30 Apr 09

ALWAYS make a back up first.

I've never had a problem with Regscrub so if you wish to "have a go" then do so.

cocteau48 19:10 30 Apr 09

I have,on occasion, defragged the registry over the years using a variety of different programs.(Auslogics Reg defrag/ Quicksys Reg defrag and IOBits utility within Advanced Windows Care)
Most will tell you what the gain will be before you run the final defrag and you do not have to continue if you do not want to so there is absolutely no harm in running the initial phase of the program and finding out how much it reckons your registry is fragmented.
Normally it is something between 1% and 2% which I cannot honestly see making that much difference but with an Acronis backup to fall back on I have always let the program run its course and can say that ,in my case,it has never caused a problem.

sunnystaines 09:03 01 May 09

its only needed about every 4-6 months unless you do a lot of installs/uninstalls.

austlogics was very good but no longer free.

I use the Iobit ASC one now

if you have never used a registry de-frag/ compactor, and have installed programs, you should notice a boot increase, and program start up increase, as with most optimisers, de-frag, cleaners etc it has to be in an apawling state before you will notice any difference.
if windows is stable (3 weeks no crashes) it's quite safe, and wont break installations as many cleaners do.

Graphicool1 14:31 04 May 09

Sorry about my delay in responding, I've been away camping and just got back.

As it happens I am constantly downloading, installing and uninstalling programs, I'm a freeware junkie. So I think I'll do as 'cocteau48' suggested and run the diagnostic first, before taking the plunge. As it happens I regularly - in fact daily - clean the registry with one of these 'Reg' cleaners...Ccleaner, RegScrubVistaXP and/or Advanced Windows Care. But cleaning isn't the same as a defrag.

sunnystaines 14:59 04 May 09

as you have Advanced Windows Care use its in built reg defrag.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…