Registry Cleaners - What's the difference?

Tenacious Green 13:29 14 Oct 05

I am hoping VOG may answer this one as he seems to favour RegscrubXP.

I have in an attempt to rid myself of a Pinnacle problem (well documented elsewhere) given RegscrubXP a go. I usually just use CCleaner.

I noticed Regscrub found some 130 more issues than Ccleaner. Why is there so many discrepencies between these cleaners? and are they all safe?

SANTOS7 13:38 14 Oct 05

different scanning software will always find what others do not wether it be registry, spyware, or antivirus use the one you are happy with but take note of what you are deleteing, better to be safe than sorry,you will find options in most progs to ignore certain things if you are not sure if you should delete them or not, then take advice on those..

sattman 13:49 14 Oct 05

VOG will no doubt answer you question with regard to registry cleaners.

However with CC Cleaner and Regscrub you are trying to compare two seperate pieces of software that do different jobs.

Regscrub cleans the registry and CCleaner cleans out your internet browsing and history rubbish.

gudgulf 13:55 14 Oct 05

Fairly simple to answer......Ccleaner does not delve as deep into the registry as RegScrubXP (or my own preference RegSeeker).Hence you will find a lot more errors shown with the likes of RegScrubXP.

The issues ccleaner finds are all safe to delete and it is therefore a good program for frequent use.

I haven't used RegscrubXP myself but I expect that it too is safe to use,as is RegSeeker.

But as both of these are thorough registry cleaners you should exercise make sure you back up the entries you delete with these products.

If you are having problems with a specific program then RegCleaner click here may be a better option.It lists the programs seen as installed on your pc in the registry.This lets you target an individual program and allows you to delete the registry entries for that program.For example where a program has not installed or uninstalled properly, the conventional registry cleaners may not see the program as a *problem* and hence won't remove its entries.

Tenacious Green 13:56 14 Oct 05

CCleaner does have Registry issue cleaners as well as its general cleaner tool, but it suprises me that there is such a vast difference between their registry cleaners.

Tenacious Green 13:59 14 Oct 05

Thanks for that, makes sense.

I have tried Regcleaner and it was usefull to get rid of some programs I knew I had got rid of, but it hasn't solved my pinnacle issue. It was Pinnacle themselves who advised on Regcleaner. One thing I noticed with Regcleaner was a lot of 'Debug' entries and I don't have a clue what they mean?

vinnyT 15:29 14 Oct 05

Take a look here click here;jsessionid=QUTB03SRA0FMOQSNDBCSKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleID=171203805&pgno=2

The title is; 'Langa Letter: Testing 10 Windows 'Registry Cleaning' Software Packs Oct. 10, 2005'

As you can see it was written recently, the sware he tests is a mix of freeware and shareware.

Hope this helps.

vinnyT 15:31 14 Oct 05

Sorry I stuffed that link up, try this

click here;jsessionid=QUTB03SRA0FMOQSNDBCSKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleID=171203805&pgno=2

vinnyT 15:33 14 Oct 05

Don't know what's the matter, praps address too long?

gudgulf 15:51 14 Oct 05

try click here

This site does not handle long url addresses very well, or links to Microsoft for that matter.

click here is a useful site for converting awkward links into useable ones.

lixdexik 17:40 14 Oct 05

Have you tried the pinnacle reg delete prog. it's a free download. if you click here it should take you to the pinnacle site's a small prog and should download quickly.. I have used it several times. It only targets pinnacle products.

Cheers Lixdexik.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…