Registry Cleaners etc.

Allan RISC OS user 20:12 05 Sep 09

I have Ashampoo WinOptimizer Platinum 3 installed (paid for) and Tune Up Utilities (free trial version), both appear to clear the registry. The most they have found are about 30 + problems and have cleared them all.

My HP Pavilion has slowed over the last few months after I did a complete re install of Windows to clear other problems such as slowness and I have tried various Registry Cleaners (free trial versions) and all indicate that there are hundreds of problems even shortly after the reinstall. Is this just a sales gimmick or could there be real problems.

My computer takes 5 seconds to refresh the screen at times and the Windows Explorer tends to crash, but it does re-start its self.

System details are, 1 GB RAM 125GB C drive about 22 GB used plus another drive of 125 GB again only 10GB used. Windows XP service pack 3; Nvidia Gforce FX5500; AMD 3200+ Athlon

AVG Antivirus, SuperAntiSpyWare both report no problems. plus ZoneAlarm.

Any thoughts please.

rdave13 20:26 05 Sep 09

Only two registry cleaners I can recommend, RegscrubVistaXp and Ccleaner's. Both free and are basic but ample to keep the registry optimised.
Be very careful using Optimizer programs as they will eventually give way to problems. Have tried a lot of them in the past, including Ashampoo's winoptimizer and they've all ended in the bin.
Try a system restore to nearest highlighted date to when you reinstalled Windows. If no optimising programs there then leave it like that. Just make sure security applications up to date and Windows update is err up to date.

birdface 20:53 05 Sep 09

If you use Xp I would recommend using IE7Pro add-on it will speed things up a bit.
If you do use it remember to tick Ad-blocker and untick Mini Download Manager In Modules.

birdface 20:58 05 Sep 09

click here And maybe download the latest Host File.
And you could try Command prompt.Type in ipconfig /flushdns a small gap between ipconfig and the forward slash or it will not work.
it will tell you DNS Cache has been flushed.Reboot your computer and see if it makes any difference.

birdface 21:08 05 Sep 09

Maybe some of your drivers are needing updated.
Maybe try Driver Max just to find out then go to the makers websites and download them.
The free version of Driver Max will only allow you to update one driver a day.So if you don't need many maybe better just sticking with that.Maybe try a defrag if you have not done one yet.
I will agree with rdave13 to many Reg Cleaners will get you into trouble eventually.

Maccyroo 00:17 06 Sep 09

So called optimizers can cause trouble eventually. The best Registry Cleaner i've found is from PC Tools (Registry Mechanic)click here been using it for four years without a problem. I believe there is a free trial version on the PC Advisor magazine DVD

mooly 08:04 06 Sep 09

In the past I've used CC and TweakNow but following a clean Vista install am not using anything. Have wondered whether any of these have been the cause of various issues in the past so I'm living in ignorant bliss at the moment.
Just for fun I did try CC on a totally clean Vista image and it too through up "registry problems".
So my advice at the moment, if you have a clean install that's troublefree don't go looking for problems :)

acein1 08:45 06 Sep 09

installing another 1gb of ram ,would do no harm,if your not sure try the "crucial site",to find what you need

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…