Registry Cleaners

Astrid 10:33 11 Feb 09

I've used Registry Mechanic for two years now, and yet, when I received notice to renew and discovered it's now £19.95, I began to question whether it's really necessary, especially as I use CCleaner, which does a similar, if not the exact job. I've read also that Registry cleaners are a bit of a scam. I'm still wondering if I should renew, or if I should accept that nothing's perfect and stick with CCleaner. Any members with thoughts on this?

recap 10:36 11 Feb 09

If your happy with CCleaner, why fix it if it is'nt broken.

config_error 10:47 11 Feb 09

CCleaner is good, there are more registry cleaners software out there, also you can clean files manualy, click here

Graphicool1 10:56 11 Feb 09

Hi Astrid - I personally have never paid for a reg cleaner. I also use 'Ccleaner' in conjunction with something else, that is 'Index Dat Anilizer' click here
They both seemingly find and clean out different rubbish files. But I've found them both to be 'Good and Safe to use Cleaners' As far as Ccleaner goes you - as you know - have to tell it what you want it to clean. As far as Index Dat goes, it checks 3 areas. 'History' - 'Cockies' and 'Cache'. I tick everything it finds and chuck it out. In all the years I've been using it I've never had any problems with it throwing out something it shoudn't! Niether has Ccleaner.

What are index.dat files?
Index.dat files are hidden files on your computer that contain all tracks of your online activity, where you have been on internet, what sites you visited, list of URL-s, files and documents you've recently accessed. Index.dat files stored on your computer are obviously a potential privacy threat as they can be found and viewed without your knowledge.

Only Microsoft knows why they exist and are kept. According to them they are used to cache visited web sites and speed up Internet Explorer. The problem with this is it's simply not true: index.dat's are hidden files that do not contain an actual web cache other than information about your browsing habbits, they can't be deleted in any usual way and there is absolutely no proof that those files in any way can speed up your browsing experience – they just sit there hidden and record where you have been on internet.

Graphicool1 10:59 11 Feb 09

Please excuse the typo's - should of course read 'Cookies' and 'Cache'

G1

alexartox 11:54 28 Apr 09

Use these registry cleaners, they are free:

>> click here <<

birdface 16:21 28 Apr 09

It is advisable not to use any Registry programs provided by alexartox.Unsafe Site.Opening old threads and hoping someone will download from them.Stay away.

alexartox 05:47 01 May 09

Just want to share my favorites, see for yourself if this list is safe or not, just don't download anything!

>> click here <<

gazzaho 06:00 01 May 09

I personally wouldn't pay for a registry cleaner myself. I use CCleaner myself mostly because it gets rid of temp files and such and because it is a relatively "safe" registry cleaner.

I myself don't buy into the "essential" need for cleaning the registry, if your system is a few years old and the OS hasn't been reinstalled, and/or you constantly install and uninstall programs then you may benefit from a registry clean, it may shave some time of the boot up process.

My opinion is if Microsoft stopped supporting their own registry cleaner and have no alternative available then perhaps it's not that important to have a clean registry. In the past I've had these cleaners, including Microsoft's own one cause programs to stop working and in one case destroy the registry completely.

alexartox 06:12 01 May 09

Microsoft has switched to .Net platform slowly, and .NET don't rely on registry, they use xml files to store the settings...

Registry on needed for compatible purpose, and since 80% of the programs today still rely on it, I think registry cleaners will survive for some time before all gone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…