Registry Cleaner from FastClick

pppc 23:02 23 Feb 06

I have a pop up from click here ("courtesy of Software Online.com") suggest I download and run 'Registry Cleaner'. Am I right in assuming that this would be unwise????

PeterC

remind 23:08 23 Feb 06

Yes ignore it. There are plenty of free Registry and system cleaners around,the one mentioned will probably scan, find a number of problems (which may or may not exist) and ask for some £ before fixing any of them. CCleaner here click here RegScrubXP here click here

terryf 09:51 24 Feb 06

One of the problems with registry cleaners is that sometimes they give a bewildering list of items that is suggested should be changed/deleted. My advice is the old chestnut 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'

jimv7 11:22 24 Feb 06

Try regscrubxp from click here

it also makes a backup of any entries it deletes.

also ccleaner from click here

both are safe to run.

rmcqua 11:28 24 Feb 06

I've cleaned hundreds of regisitries using various free and paid for utilities. Never had any significant problems caused by it. Very often find that it improves performance significantly. Always do a system restore checkpoint first.
ccleaner, as jimv7 mentions, does a good job.

pppc 11:40 24 Feb 06

Many thanks to all who replied - especially to 'reminder'who was first. I downloaded regscrubx and have run it apparently successfully.

Cheers

peterc

1936 17:59 13 Apr 06

Iv'e tried a couple of the so called free cleaners and they found the obligatory 400 or so problems which was great untill I clicked the fix box then they held their hand out for some money.
Are there any really free cleaners?

remind 18:02 13 Apr 06

the ones i linked to are free, there are others

The Spires 18:16 13 Apr 06

Reg Seeker click here is free & does a great job, & I've never had any issues after using it. You can also search the registry etc with it. In my experience esp when cleaning up relatives & friends? Pc's registry cleaners sort problems out rather than cause them.

phono 18:21 13 Apr 06

I have had to repair a few disasters where PC owners had used registry cleaners and followed the program's suggestions, they can be very useful but can also cause a lot of problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…