registry cleaner

pat2068 22:08 01 May 04

can anyone tell me if it would be alright to use a registry cleaner i dont have any discs my comp came with a partitioned hard drive no restore disc or xp disc thanks leo

hugh-265156 22:23 01 May 04

"no restore disc or xp disc"

i would be afraid to even turn it on lol.

get yourself a copy of drive image or acronis,ghost etc and make an image to another drive or cdr`s while its still working ok.

sooner rather than later you are going to need it.

i have used regseeker and jv16 powertools and both have never gave me any problems click here click here

if you really want to try one make a restore point before using just in case.

TommyRed 22:27 01 May 04

I would say that you MUST make a backup of your registry before doing anything in their. Type 'regedit' into run click ok, when in registry editor click 'File' then export, save it to say, your desktop. I believe you just double click it to reinstall if needed . As you have no disk consider making a clone f your system with either Acronis True Image 9I can recommend), Norton Ghost or Drive Image.

TommyRed 22:29 01 May 04

Typos, (I can recommend), of not f, TR

pat2068 22:33 01 May 04

HP do not give you any discs they put your operating system on a partition as your restore but i was told if i make a restore disc of my operating i would lose the partition and my warranty would be invalid leo

lucky1 22:42 01 May 04

I have a Compaq PC (from the HP stable). If you either email or contact HP and give them your FULL system details, they will send you a set of 6 System Recovery Disks.

I also use Drive Image 7 to make a full copy of my system to CDs. Takes about nine CDs but worth the effort. Don't think it's true that you would 'lose' the partition though.

Dr. Charles(retired now) 23:00 01 May 04

XP has "Roll back" which is like "GoBack" so you should be able to restore your PC to its previous state if anything dramatic happens.

However there is no substitute for a good backup as previously advised.Thats very GOOD advice

Best wishes,

Charles

pat2068 23:00 01 May 04

lucky1 is ther any chance you could give me the email address as i cant find 1 on the hp website thanks leo

pat2068 23:02 01 May 04

i have back up of my own work on removable hd but not my o/s thanks leo

Doogie Howser 23:18 01 May 04

Been using regseeker for about a month now and am very impressed. Always found jv16 a bit overwhelming but haven't tried it recently. Another superb general cleaner which will also clean the registry is 'crap cleaner' as suggested by Gandalf recently. Very simple to use and very quick.

hugh-265156 23:32 01 May 04

"i make a restore disc of my operating i would lose the partition and my warranty would be invalid"

whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about I'm afraid to say.

if you make an image with any commercially available imaging software you certainly wont lose data,partitions etc and i cannot see how being sensible would invalidate your warranty.

if you make an image then,even if the worst should happen and your current hard disk dies then you have a complete image of the system as it was including installed programs,drivers,updates etc when you took the image.you can load it onto a new drive and be up and running in mins again.

well worth it.

look out for acronis,a full copy is sometimes made available on coverdiscs.PCA mag had a full copy on the coverdisc a few mths back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…