Registry Cleaner....

df118 21:25 11 Mar 04

I seem to need to run a clean-up of my Registry-how do i do that; what is a safe programme to use; how does the Clean -up thing work; how can I be sure that nothing VITAL will be deleted ; even the THOUGHT of doing it scares me..... (am running Windows 98 2nd ed). AND what exactly IS "the Registry"; what information does IT store...I have no idea where to start on this one so.....and "basic " language please; remember, I AM a novice at this........

gudgulf 21:59 11 Mar 04

The registry stores all the vital information you need to run windows and all the software on you computer--Do not mess with it!

There are a number of utilities that can clean clear out registry entries relating to uninstalled programmes and check for erroneous entries but you would be well advised not to meddle here.

What makes you think you need to perform such a clean-up?

LastChip 22:01 11 Mar 04

The Registry is a critical database of your system information, hardware and software. If you a novice, don't play with it, but cleaning with the program I mention below, is unlikely to cause any grief.

The safest program to use, is Microsoft's own RegClean 4.1a.

That's the good news. The bad, is Microsoft no longer offer this as a download, but if you type that title in a good search engine, you will find sites that still offer it. It is free, and whilst arguably, not the most thorough, I've never known it cause any damage. It also always makes a backup, so you can go back if there is a problem.

User-312386 22:06 11 Mar 04
  df118 19:22 12 Mar 04

Gudgulf( and others); refer to my "Dragon Naturally Speaking " thread for the "changed file" problem please; am continuing ON that one for that.......may NOT need the cleaner, I HOPE.....

BurrWalnut 19:42 12 Mar 04

Go here for a good registry cleaner click here It's only a 30 day trial version but it will sort out all the spurious entries. It's prudent to back up the registry before running it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:17 12 Mar 04

click here and d/l regseeker. I use this on every computer that I visit and it has never let me down. IMHO it is much better than regclean or JV16 and it has many other useful additions. It saves the deletions as a backup just in case but I have used it hundreds of times and have never been let down. Oh.....it is free as well.

When you first use it you will probably be amazed at how many dead links it finds, the most I have ever found is 1600 dead reg. entries.

G

df118 11:10 13 Mar 04

not wanting to " start another thread" and the answer is, I think "associated" WITH this one,,,why, when one removes programs , ARE " bits seemingy "left behind""??? I have removed Trend micro, iomega hotburn,but there still appear to be folders ON the computer......(having said THAT I now canot locate them to open them to see their contents!!!)....

LastChip 12:09 13 Mar 04

Basically, it's badly written code.

Perhaps programmers have such big ego's, they believe no one would ever want to remove their program ;-)

There is another reason though. In Windows, many applications make use of Windows own DLL library. Now, it may only be the one program that uses a particular DLL, or it could be many, so, rather than risk screwing up other programs, the tendency is to leave anything behind that may need to be used elsewhere.

However, that does not excuse leaving behind complete folders, which does come down to lousy un-install code.

As an aside, it was interesting to read on another thread of a Computer Science student wishing to "play" with Linux. When asked why, he/she referred to;

"Also when you have to program your own software you do discover how bad microsoft is in comparison to other OS as it is so slow on a same spec machine to execute the same (architecture free) code."

An insight from an independent source perhaps!!

Boy Zone 12:31 13 Mar 04

Hi,
Having downloaded the program reseeker, I had over 800 enteries, some maked in RED others marked in GREEN. Does one delete those in RED and leave the GREEN ones?
It does seem a good program.
Recently I bought a progrtam called Reg Mechanic, seems OK, but the above does seem much better, and its free.
I await your orders

df118 12:49 13 Mar 04

LastChip; referrrign to yours above at22-01; I COULD be cynical and sugest that Microsoft KNOW there ARE problems but do not wish the problems removed, so withdraw a program that removes them; however, I think my best bet pro temp is to stear clear OF the Registy; I could probably do more harm than good by being let loose in it!!!!!( I can run a computer, but "messing about" with "the business end of things", is "asking for trouble" where I am concerned!!!!). I have already had enough of THAT without going begging for more!!!!!! what I want to know NOW is from where I can do a "free scan " for spyware without having to open the thing I have dowloaded ( THAT all started from the dial -up box appearing with norton looking for its component, amd me believing I hd a bug on here....(fouind the answe r to that on this forum!!). .......).....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…